We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scotland to Bangkok

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Scotland to Bangkok

I am currently looking for flights from Edinburgh or Glasgow to Bangkok, and prices with Emirates and KLM are similar. While I fly quite often with KLM and its partner City Jet (Gold Card), it is only short flights and no long haul, and i never have flew with Emirates.

I heard different stories and wonder if some advise could be provided about services and seats in economies class, as I have no idea what would be a better option.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

I would probably say Emirates.

With KLM it will be a local short flight to Amsterdam and then a long haul flight to Bangkok.

KLM is a good airline, but if it was me I would deffinately go with Emirates, good service, nice food, superb seatback entertainment etc.

With Emirates it is 'long haul' wide-body service all the way Glasgow-Dubai-Bangkok.

I think on the retrun long haul straight back to Glasgow as opposed to early morning connection in Amsterdam would be nicer.

From what I see Emirates departs Glasgow at 1415 and arrives Bangkok 1225, that is Boeing 777 from Glasgow to Dubai, 2 hrs 25 mins in transit, and then the large Airbus A-380 from Dubai to Bangkok

Return departs Bangkok 0240, 2 hrs transit Dubai, lands Glasgow 1235, both flights Boeing 777

Edited: 10 May 2012, 02:08
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,517 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

Have done KLM three times to BKK. They run combi 747's so approx 250 pax in economy and the flight goes on to Taipei so normally pretty full. When I flew the planes were old and dated but they have now upgraded the fleet with new seats and individual IFE.

If you are gold status then you can get the exit rows for free on KLM and the premium seating with extra legroom at a nice discount. Also you can get quite a lot of points on the BKK route and lounge access with a gold card.

Friends of mine always fly Emirates from GLA and swear by them though.

I think that their 777's have a 3-4-3 seating arrangement so are more cramped than the 3-3-3 config.

If it was not for your gold status then i would go Emirates but there is always the chance that you will get an upgrade on KLM so that would swing it for me.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

Agree with what Ronaldo posts regarding your status and perhaps taking the chance of an upgrade etc. of using KLM, but of course nothings certain .

But then again Emirates do apper to have the better flight times that may suit you. I would not say other than the IFE and the 380 newer plane (but a little more cramped seating), EK have better food and service than KLM as standards have slipped with EK, and the crew on both airlines are very differnt.

If I had a choice (not counting status with either airline) I would go for Emirates.

uk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

Status and the miles you'd accrue flying KLM would make me swing in their direction.

EK are not what they once were and I've heard quite a few positive things about KLM recently.

Also personally I'd rather have one long flight and a short hop that two medium length flights with EK, but that is just my personal preference.

uk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

And as Ronaldo points out you'd be able to spend your layover in AMS in the KLM lounge rather than what is usually the very crowded DXB terminal.

Argument for KLM keeps building IMO.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

10 abreast in a 777 - no thanks!

UK
Level Contributor
859 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

Have flown both long haul recently. Don't thinks there much in them apart from the entertainment system, and the chance on Emirates to fly the 380 which is a nice quiet aircraft. I found the food on Emirates to be some of the worst I've had in economy recently.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,838 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

The food with EK on business is not much better..

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,316 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

Thanks for all the replies. While KLM flies to Edinburgh one advantage of Emirates is having a lengthy stopover in Dubai. However my Gold card is the main reason for considering KLM.

Just wondering, what upgrade could I get if I am lucky?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,517 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scotland to Bangkok

You could be ugraded to business. Has happened to my brother a couple of times but it depends on a lot of factors.