We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
14 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Does anyone know if I can bring a carry on that is stuffed with sealed, originally packaged foods? None of the food is liquid, gel, fruits, nuts, or meats. It's all snack type food for what will be a two week vacation.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

none of which is gels or liquids?

seems like that complies with the TSA regs but cant say if that is ok for any quarantine check u may have to go thru if travelling to a foreign country.

Edited: 11 May 2012, 04:42
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,541 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

What with the most recent news stories (just this week) concerning the underwear bomber, I would imagine that such items would be looked at very carefully. For instance, peanut butter is not a liquid or a gel, but could raise a few eyebrows!

Personally, I wouldn't take any large quantity. I suppose chips would be ok, but leave the guacamole home.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Check and ask on the forums for your destination cities. A lot of those snavck type foods (or a suitable alternative) may be available for purchase locally. Unless you're going camping in the middle of nowhere, foods overseas are generally very good. Try something different, after all you are on a vacation.

If you simply must have American food, don't worry, Burger Kink, McDonaqlds, Starbucks, Subway and a number of other US chains are everywhere.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,881 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Where are you flying to?

Or, as I originally thought, where on earth are you flying to that makes you want to take 2 weeks' supply of food?

As mentioned, you may clear security, but depending on what "snacks" you're taking you may well fall foul of Customs/Agriculture at the other end.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Just noticed my typo in my previous reponse. Too late to edit. That should be Burger King, not Burger Kink. Though, depending on where you're headed, Burger Kink could still be right. LOL

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,795 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Burger kink ... very good... apt description I think.

OP...Surely you can get snack food wherever you are going? If not, maybe try some of the local snacks. And as #4 asked..where are you going?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,187 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

My guess is OP has some sort of dietary need for this to be necessary.

As long as what you are carrying isn't liquid, gels or the likes, you really should have no problem.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,231 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

Other issue is... quarantine or food import restrictions at the destination. While it may be okay to fly with the stuff... it might get confiscated on arrival.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

"My guess is OP has some sort of dietary need for this to be necessary."

Maybe, or maybe not. Not trying to disparge the OP, but I spent over 14 years as a travel consultant and came across numerous people (including some of the other agents I knew) that would travel Internationally and refuse to eat anything other than American food. Had one agent I worked with, would only eat at McDonalds when he and his family traveled outside the US.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry On Bag Full of Packaged, Non-liquid Food

"My guess is OP has some sort of dietary need for this to be necessary."

You'd be surprised at the number of people who travel to Spain with a bag full of cornflakes, baked beans & Lipton Teabags