We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

In an effort to figure out how early to get to LHR for a flight this October, please help with this question:

We are taking a 9:30 United flight to Houston on the 18th of October, before the school holidays. Do we really have to get to the terminal 3 hours early?

Thanks.

Doug

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

Which class of travel or do you have Fast Track access?

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

Sorry, should have added that - United Economy, nothing special. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it staying at the Hilton at T4 or if I should save my money and stay at the Premier Inn at 15 Bath Road and take a taxi to the terminal.

Thanks

Doug

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,556 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

If you're flying economy and don't have status with United or Star Alliance, I'd plan to be there 3 hours ahead of departure (2.5 at the latest). I'll be taking LHR-IAH from T4 in a few weeks and I'll report back on the lines (though I'm on the 11:40 departure).

In addition to the PI Bath Road, there's also the Jury's Inn at Hatton Cross (probably more expensive than the PI but cheaper than the Hilton). That's served by three buses (482, 490 and 557) that take just 5 minutes to T4 and, as Hatton Cross is in the Heathrow free fare zone are free.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…heathrowterminal4-14075.pdf

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

Thanks very much. With 3 suitcases we'll take a taxi. I'll look at Jury's Inn.

Doug

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

I don't understand why it makes any difference which of those hotels you'd aim for with a planned 630am arrival at the airport.

FWIW it's going to be much more pleasant staying at the Hilton just because it's nicer, but in terms of a 630am arrival at LHR there is no difference.

Re 3 hours, well the fact is you never know, and whilst normally it might be 30 or even 60 minutes too soon one day that extra time will be needed for some eventuality you never planned for or considered even if staying at the airport.

Someone recently reported several additional sets of security checks that made their arrival at the gate touch and go for example.

And a few years back, i experienced a last minute ticketing snafu that took 90+ minutes to resolve at checkin. Had I not been there 3 hours in advance I'd have missed my flight.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,696 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

I got a room,pre paid, for £71 at the Hilton-easy 3 minute covered walk to the terminal with trolley provided.

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

That easy walk is why I'm considering the Hilton. Faster than getting a taxi from Bath Road, might save half an hour's sleep. Which matters to my wife.

Thanks for the comment.

Doug

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,858 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

An even cheaper Hilton is the new Hilton at T5. HoppaBus from the hotel goes to T4 as well as T5. If a few pounds didn't matter, I'd say Hilton at T4. I had one of my guys stay at Jurys and he said it was probably the worst stay he's ever had.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

Fair point Doug, somewhat dim of me not to think of that, :-)

At 6am, worth paying a bit extra I'd say, especially since you can deduct the taxi fare form the cheaper hotel off some of the extra you may pay for the room at the Hilton :-) Definitely book in advance, a few years back I ddi the same at the hilton at Gatwick pre-paying around £100, a guy checked in right next to me, a walk- up, paid the 'rack price' of £220 which I recall because it was so much more than I had paid!

Your only other consideration might be,where you would eat that night, some airport hotels are better than others for choice, not just in the hotel but nearby.The Hilton at T4 used to have a good selection of restaurants, if pricy (I havent stayed in it for 3 or 4 years now though)

Derbyshire, England
Level Contributor
259 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Terminal 4 Security Wait times?

I've booked the Hilton T4 - am also staying in a day room there the day we arrive so we can have a few hours sleep before driving home. I could have booked a taxi of course but I can't face a long drive after a long haul flight, not without sleep.

Hilton T4 seems to have a good Chinese restaurant, I think run by a small chain from China.

T5 has an excellent Indian restaurant. We're staying there in September before a short organised tour of Jordan (flying from T1 but leaving later in the morning, so the same issue doesn't arise - and we'll have only 2 suitcases, not 3 or 4).

Thanks all.

Doug