We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

Wine Country...
Level Contributor
64 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

I need to plan a trip that includes: Flying from Maui to California (stop) on to Costa Rica (stop) back to Chicago (stop) back to California (stop) and back to Maui.

Wondering if there is any kind of multiple destination airfare or if I have to do a series of round trips?

Any direction to begin the search would be appreciated.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,699 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

All airline sites and search sites like Kayak.com etc. will let you search for multi destination flights.

Just click on "mult city" and put in your preferred dates.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,193 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

Depending on how long you are stopping in CA you might want to consider a return Maui-CA and have the remainder as a multi-city itinerary.

Don't forget to check out the low costs airlines as you you can book A to B, C to D through a multi-city ticket and do B to C separately

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,699 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

The only low cost airline I know that goes from California to Chicago is Southwest which you DO have to check out on their own web site.

I don't know if you can do this trip in a different order because you may find that Chicago to Costa Rica is less expensive than California to Costa Rica and there may be more flights that go at better times!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
523 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

Have you tried clicking on "multi-destination" button on a particular airline? I think United has such an option. I have done that before - granted the destinations have always been European - but I know you can city-hop and return home. I'm sure UAL isn't the only airline to do that.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,908 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

All the major airlines have mullti-city fares, but always check the cost of the segments separately, especially if you can wrangle them into a series of round trips.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,518 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

Absolutely agree with Geomedic. Airfares aren't as simple as buying things from your grocery store where you just add up everything. There are multiple combinations and sometimes, breaking your journey apart using separate tickets saves you money.

Always check on the airline's own website. For comparison purpose, my favorite site is ITA:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

South Bend, Indiana
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

I really liked ITA, but is there a way to buy those tickets without going through a travel agent?

8. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2013, 19:05
Edited: 27 February 2013, 19:05
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

You can check out the various combinations on the matrix website but you can't book with them and I think you need to weigh up all your options on the individual websites to get the best price.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,549 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Site for planning trip with Multiple Destinations?

The OP posted his question in May 2012. Yet another dormant thread (last May) that has been woken up by a necropost (#7).

Edited: 27 February 2013, 19:04