We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

If you are travelling with infants and taking advantage of sitting them on your knee (so not paying for extra seats) then don't bother paying extra to reserve your seats since chances are your seats will be changed and you will have a hard job getting a refund.

We flew by Thomson and decided to use their Select Your Seat service so we could be sat together. We couldn't actually use the online service since we were travelling with 2 infants so had to phone and a nice lady chose 'the best seats for travelling with infants.'

Anyway to cut a long story short our seats were changed (to seats behind each other) since we were originally allocated an invalid seat configuration for infants, and now we are having a job getting a refund even though the rep at the airport said we would be able to get one. It's not really the money (£34)- it's more the principle.

In the end the flight crew were great and reseated us in great seats since the flight wasn't fully booked (we had a row each on the outbound flight.) But that's not the point, it's that Thomson offer this service at extra cost when seats aren't guarenteed (in small print) and it's hard to get your money back if your seats are changed. When travelling with infants there is probably a higher chance of being moved due to regulations and in all likelihood the cabin crew will try and put you in good seats anyway so why pay the extra. The airlines are just trying to make easy money.

I have suggested they stop offering this to people travelling with infants.....

(or maybe we are just a rare case and most people don't even attempt to travel with 2 under 2's!)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

Seats are never guaranteed with any airline though I agree that if seats are changed it should straightforward to get a refund for any money paid. I don't know you think they should stop offering seat selections to people traveling with infants. Surely a better solution would just be to educate their staff better so they don't allocate seats where you can't sit with one.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 11:01
Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

i personally just think it's a waste of money and an easy way for airlines to make money I've learnt now and I wont pay to reserve seats again in future (even if we're not travelling with infants). But for most people I'm sure it works fine. Our experience is probably rare since we were travelling with 2 infants so the only valid seat combination to be together (on a full flight) is going to be an aisle seat across the aisle from each other (infants not allowed in certain seats and there are only 4 oxygen masks per bank of 3 seats.)

just wanted to make other people aware if they were thinking of travelling with infants and reserving seats, no point forking out the money - and in most cases you will be well looked after by the cabin crew

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,245 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

You have just pointed out the reason why you were reseated,Oxygen masks.

The reason the website wouldn't let you book the seats is because you were potentially trying to get five passengers into a seat row with 4 oxygen masks.Instead of accepting that,you then called an unqualified office staff member to get her to overide the system.When you arrived at checkin you had to be moved for safety reasons.

There is no problem booking seats and bringing an infant into a row of 3.It is not possible to bring 2 infants into a row of 3,not enough oxygen masks.The website told you that.

Next time book 2 aisle seats next to each other and you will be fine.Most people can talk across the aisle.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,657 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

<<If you pay extra to reserve seats together, you’ll get to choose your seat numbers at no further charge. >>

As sitting infront/behind and across an aisle is still classed as sitting together, you got what you paid for. Seat number selection is a free option you can have if you reserve seats together. You don't actually pay for it, so no one owes you a refund.

Edited: 16 May 2012, 12:59
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

If you are travelling with infants and taking advantage of sitting them on your knee (so not paying for extra seats) then don't bother paying extra to reserve your seats since chances are your seats will be changed

=============

So you have generalized from your one single example of a fairly unusual case, to 'know' that this happens to most people, that their seats if booked with an infant are more likely than not, to be changed? How do you know that?

6. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 20:35
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

Words fail me. Are you guys serious?

Yes it should be simple to refund, however you can't get five people into a row with 4 oxygen masks. The woman who booked it should have known this and she made a mistake, she should not have over ridden the system and you should get your money back, you should never have been allowed to reserve those seats in the first place.

Paying to reserve seats is a benefit for many, if one infant a family can sit in a row of three. Otherwise if two infants, you can sit across the aisle from one another, better than at much further distances. However I cannot comprehend why people do lap baby anyway. Buy your kid a seat and the problem is solved.

Re the guy with the 8.50gbp complaint. Yeah, you're right. It's a scam for 8.50. Not simply an unfortunate set of circumstances, it's a total con. What they do is they get people to pay, them they have heavy people just run round sitting in the seats next to them, so they can move you and keep your money. I can't believe no one spotted this scam before.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,657 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

Tykescar

Seat numbers aren't guaranteed, and you didn't actually pay for the service. It comes as a free extra, when you pay to reserve seats together.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

"But they're refusing to refund the £8.50 as they say I got the service I paid for which I totally didn't!"

I'd say it comes down to which seat they moved you to.

10. Re: Seat Reservations - don't bother if travelling with infants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 02:15