We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich Transfer time

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Munich Transfer time

We leave Venice, Italy on Lufthansa flight 9266 To Munich, Germany and have a 2 hour layover before boarding Lufthansa flight 8883 to San Francisico, Ca.

On our way to Rome, Italy, we will fly Air Canada and are comfortable with our connections since the layover is 3 hours and the language is english. We also have never been overseas before. My question is, is a 2 hour layover in Munich a comfortable time to finding your connecting flight? Will the signs be easy to read for us that don't read German.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Munich Transfer time

Its in English in Munich, you don't have to read German. Munich is a very efficient airport.

The key question is, is this booked as one ticket? That makes a huge difference. If you have to collect luggage etc and check in again then no, it's not enough time. If one ticket, and you are protected and luggage goes straight through, them yes it's fine.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Munich Transfer time

Munich is a fantastic airport to transit through. It's small, well organized and easy to navigate. I don't speak a word of German and had no problems. Two hours should be plenty of time, I just wish there were more airports like it!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
241 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Munich Transfer time

Thank you so much for your information. Yes I booked as one ticket so I now feel good about this.

Brechin, United...
Destination Expert
for Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallee
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Munich Transfer time

Been through Munich once,quickest, most efficient airport I have travelled through. If only they were all like that.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,787 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Munich Transfer time

MUC is a preferred airport for connections (and they have many good ones).

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
904 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Munich Transfer time

Munich is a very nice and fairly small airport, so two hours is plenty of time. All the signs are in English, and almost everyone you deal with will speak English. So don't worry a bit!

Rumson, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Munich Transfer time

With bags checked through to Rome, you will only have passport control entering Schengen zone and customs when bags are unloaded in Rome. You will have time even if flight a little late.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Munich Transfer time

Very efficient airport and amongst my preferred in EU. I've made 40min connections at this airport. 2hrs is more than sufficient even if you account for the passport control and a slight delay in incoming flight.

Mason City, Iowa
Level Contributor
2,628 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Munich Transfer time

Munich is one of my favorite airports. It's easy to get around, good shops to browse ( they even have a grocery store!), and where else can you see locals having a beer at 7:00 in the morning!

Kasane, Botswana
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Munich Transfer time

jdmackay - the supermarket and beer garden is not airside. There is not so much to do when you have to stay airside as the poster will have to transferring from one international flight to another one.

Yes, MUC is generally easy to navigate. Waiting for bags to appear on arrival takes for ever. I have waited up to 40 mins. Much bigger airports in S.E.A. are way faster.

Depending on your departure time, and esp. from Terminal B, p.port queues can take for ever as security is badly organised and positioned.

Please note that LH flights leave from Terminal 2 I think. This is not so easy to find your way round. There is def. no sign posting for SQ check-in.

I even speak German but have my problems there.