We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American airlines

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
American airlines

We have an opportunity for a vacation in the fall (Boston to Turks & Caicos) It appears that AA. has the best flight schedule and price for us. Given that they are seeking bankruptcy relief, considering a merger, and have mechanics on strike ....would you book or seek an alternative ?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,908 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American airlines

I wouldn't worry about it. Chances of them folding is virtually none.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American airlines

Stick with AA.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,967 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American airlines

No issue at all.

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
430 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American airlines

We just completed a trip to St Croix USVI flying with American Airlines. We came back through Miami last night October 2, 2012. Flight from MIA to MSY was delayed twice and then changed gates. Passengers waiting at the gate were loudly booing AA employees. When the gate change happened it screwed up the delivery by Sky Chef which prompted yet another delay at the gate after boarding........then came another stall on the tarmac. Flight attendants passed out Oreo cookies.....2 per customer to try and quiet everyone down.....it didn't work. It was a bit uneasy watching so many fellow passengers become so angry. And it got worse in MSY. Big time lost baggage and one poor AA employee trying to handle the mess. I felt bad for her. She appeared to be frightened. What would have normally been a total flight time of just under 5 hours took from 2PM to midnight.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American airlines

Good grief Dionne! Did they offer any explanations for the delays?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American airlines

Gate changes are a matter for the airport operator, not the airline. The skipper does not contact ATC and say 'I'd like to use A14 today rather than A27, so can you ensure it's free for me when I arrive? Thanks!'

'... another stall on the tarmac ...' Ground movements are strictly controlled by the airport and ATC; planes don't move as the captain decides but as s/he is instructed by the tower.

'Big time lost baggage ...' Again, a matter for MSY airport staff rather than the airline.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American airlines

I flew round trip Boston to LA last week on American and had no issues. The flights were on time and everyone was courteous. The flight attendants were very outgoing and joking around a la Southwest or JetBlue. When someone remarked how pleasant they were they mentioned that it has been very tough on them because everyone is assuming now that all issues are intentional and a result of the pilots or bankruptcy instead of normal travel hiccups. I am flying American to Argentina next month and I am not at all concerned to be holding an American ticket. If anything I wish it was American all the way through instead of switching to the dreaded Aerolineas Argentina in Buenos Aires!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American airlines

Actually TravellerPlus your incorrect, the Airlines control what aircraft is assigned to what gate and most every airport has a ramp area that is not under the control of ATC Ground Control. The individual airlines control movement in this ramp area and the flight crew only calls ATC Ground when they are at a designated area of the ramp and ready to move outside the ramp controlled area onto the taxiways which are controlled by ATC Ground. AA has its own Ramp Control, or "Tower as we refer to it" in Miami and the crews call them just before landing to find out what gate they are assigned to and they will communicate with them about any subsequent changes.

Mike in Tulsa

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,636 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American airlines

In my opinion, you're just asking for trouble with AA (what decent airline can't properly secure their seating!)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
464 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American airlines

Should one be safe to book with AA now for a flight not until May /June 2013 looing to go to the Caribbean?