We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

I have just been on the Thomas Cook website and have seen a section which basically states you can only take medication on board for the duration of the journey/flight and medication for the holiday has to go in your suitcase. I have a 14 night holiday booked with them and do not feel comfortable putting essential medication in the hold, it would be awful if the suitcase were dealyed or went missing.

I spoke to one of the advisers and they confirmed this to be true, and he said my partner and i would not be able to take the medication on board in hand luggage. But luckilly "Thomas Cook hardly ever lose luggage" !!!

I usually travel with Thomson and have always took meds onboard in hand luggage.

Anybody else had similar problems with this?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

thomascookairlines.co.uk/entries/20788091-me…

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

That's ridiculous. Packing meds in Hold/checked luggage is almost a guarantee that the bag will go missing. THEN what do you do?

I would call them an ask. I seriously doubt any other airline has this rule. is Thomas Cook Airline going to "take care of you" when your meds go missing. Will they get you a doctor appt and new meds (and what guarantee, depending on country your are in, that you can get same meds.

I do agree with pills in original bottles, but never heard of needing a separate letter in ADDITION to Rx in original packaging. What if Rx's are prescribed by different doctors? then do you need a letter from each doctor?

Edited: 19 May 2012, 13:30
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,721 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

I was really shocked at such information, i have contacted them and the adviser confirmed i would not be able to board with 14 nights medication in my hand luggage!

I think i'm going to take it in my hand luggage anyway and say i didnt know if i get stopped.....i'm sure most people would take there meds on the plane with them

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,824 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

They mention ml...hence talking about liquids....as for other meds, i.e. tablets, I would ignore it, I would never put my medication in checked luggage.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

Yeah if you had already checked in your hold luggage and take all your meds through security Im not sure they would be allowed to make you throw away prescribed medication, and also I think this is a Thomas cook rule not a security rule, so unless TC search your bag after security (unlikely) then I dont think there would be an issue.

:-)

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
126 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

I travel with TC and always put medication in my hand baggage, apart from the general security questions everyone gets at check-in, they have never asked me to list what is in my hand bagagge.

I take a copy of the prescription and on a visit to the doc's nearer the holiday I ask him to write a short note to confirm what I need to take...he doesn't charge for this.

I have never had anyone in security question me.... FYI I dont take liquids, these are all in tablet/capsule form....all 400+ of them!...However, I do understand that liquids will carry different rule.

London
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

What happens if you only take carry on bag. Also unless you have liquids, after security no one searches your bag. I would just ignore it and take in your carry on bag.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
447 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

check the website of the airport you are flying from they will have a list of what you can take through security in your hand luggage and what you cant.Abide by this

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

I wonder if this is a hang over from the issues with liquids a few years back when ut was ultra strict and they never relaxed it? I'd just ignore it. You can always put a bottle or two in your pockets. And end of the day how would they know anyway?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomas Cook - taking medication on board flight query

This is a Thomas cook rule and not a security requirement. As such, you do need to comply with the liquids rule.

However to be fair to Thomas cook, I think this is to cover them for any eventuality globally, and some countries have some varying rules on types of medication, so I think they have just played overly cautious,

Airline staff don't search your bag, so I would not be worried.