We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry on food on BA long haul

london uk
Level Contributor
191 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Carry on food on BA long haul

Will be traveling with a toddler on a 9hr flight to the Caribbean . The little man is too big for baby meals and will more than likely refuse the child meal offered, are we able to bring a thermos food flask with pasta on board ?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Could it be regarded as liquid?

If so you won't be able to get it on board

Why not freeze it so it becomes solid at time of going though security keep it fozen in an insulated bag.

Depends of course when you will be leaving home and timings to get through security.

Then once on plane ask the FA to warm it up in the galley when you want to feed your child?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
56,554 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

"Then once on plane ask the FA to warm it up in the galley when you want to feed your child?"

Not sure that would be an option. Most (all?) carriers can't heat up food other than what they're serving. Risk of cross-contamination in case somethings bad in the food brought on by a passenger.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Hi,

"Then once on plane ask the FA to warm it up in the galley when you want to feed your child?"

==> One note of caution.. Do be aware that some airlines do have restrictions in place for the handling-- like reheating -- in their on-board ovens-- of food materials that are not airline sourced due to potential cross contamination issues from materials that are of unknown origin or may not have been handled in compliance with sanitary practices.

In some cases the regulations are government/regulator imposed, in other cases they are carrier originated.

I'd pointedly ask BA about this IF it is your intention to take food that requires reheating before consumption. The problem I think you'll run into is that this kind of information-- operational issue and limitations-- is usually not accessible to front-line reservations or phone agents...

You might have to get from their On-board Department or Safety and Standards Department.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 20 May 2012, 21:41
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Thanks to you both

So that's a non starter then.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,671 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Hi,

It *might* be.. But that depends on what is BA's policy-- either corporate, or as specified by the relevant regulatory agency.

Airline galleys, food and liquor rules are governed by very similar laws as you might find in a restaurant or other type of establishment.. So, if I were a betting man, I'd say that the odds are strongly that it's not allowed.

and even more so in today's "I'll sue you because you ____" type of litigation risks even if things were done right or the like.. So even in those cases where regulators say it's OK, or are silent, some airlines just don't do it to avoid any unnecessary risks.

Travel Safe,

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Will he eat sandwiches?

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

could be a good time to start the "eat what is put in front of you or go hungry" training.

;-)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Would you?

For nine hours?

The op wants to give their child a nourishing meal and presumably not the meal deal from Boots joe

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

I am sure the OP is quite grown up enough to make their own sandwiches leuca, should they wish to, I said nothing regards the source of these sandwiches.

Though whilst I know nothing of the nutritional content of a Boots Meal deal, are you saying they *aren't* nutritious and if so, on what basis?

They are, after all, frequently recommended by many posters here for those on a budget in the UK and I have read no reports of anyone hospitalised after their stay due to malnutrition ?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry on food on BA long haul

Joe

The op has obviously dismissed the notion of sandwiches

I have never bought sandwiches to take on a plane so cannot moment on their taste or nutritional value

You don't get malnutrition in nine hours do you.

You get a tad hungry

Lien

Do you always eat what is put in front of you?

And a nine hour flight is not the best place to attempt to find out what a child likes or doesn't like to eat

I bet you wouldn't want To sit next to a hungry kid for nine hours

Just a hint

Hungry kids can scream

Loudly

Anyhow this isn't helping the OP to get some sensible advice is it?

Edited: 20 May 2012, 22:30