We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Hi,

I am just looking for a bit of advice on which airline to choose when flying from Glasgow, UK to New York City. As this will be the first leg of our honeymoon, we are looking to fly business class and have found the prices for Icelandair and Aer Lingus to be comparable. Any tips on which to choose would be much appreciated - they both offer similar flying times, with a stop in either Reykjavík or Dublin. I understand they don’t offer the luxury of say Emirates or Etihad, but their business class fares seem competitive.

Thanks very much

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,791 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Have not flown either airline but you might also want to look at United - they fly direct from Glasgow to Newark and their business class has recently been upgraded to flat beds.

Not sure how they compare price wise with Icelandair or Aer Lingus but I found prices to be competative with others when I flew business class with them from Manchester last year.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Hi Tom,

Cheers for getting back to me so quickly, it’s much appreciated. We had a pretty bad experience when we flew Continental / United from Glasgow to NYC a couple of years ago and then again with United to San Francisco last year, so they have been officially crossed off the Christmas card list! It’s a pity as the direct flight is a bit of a bonus.

Thanks again,

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

From what I can gather Aer Lingus flies A330 with lie flat seats with 58" pitch, while Icelandair Saga class has 39" pitch - no lie-flat as far as I can gather.

What also counts for Aer Lingus is that immigration for the US is done in Dublin (except on EI109 and EI133).

But with Icelandair you get a break at the midpoint of your journey, making it two medium-haul flights instead of one short- and one long-haul.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Hi WhiskyTraveller,

Thanks for the reply – having the immigration done in Dublin would be a pretty good way of saving some time when we arrive in New York, plus it sounds as though the business class experience will be better on Aer Lingus.

Thanks again for the advice, it’s much appreciated

London, England
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

If you are a spontaneous kind of couple then here's a little trick. I believe Icelandair allows you to stop over in Reykjavik for upto a week when flying cross atlantic. How about arranging to stop there for just half a day, take a bus from the airport to Blue Lagoon geothermal spa and start the honeymoon in one of the most magical places in the world?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,145 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Fly Icelandair and have a few days stop over there. The country is truly amazing and like nothing toy can see in almost anywhere in the world. It's an ideal place to include in a honeymoon itinary.

Icelandair is a good airline, they don't have lay flat beds but it is a short flight.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for the tips on stopping-over in Iceland - it sounds pretty tempting! Unfortunately this holiday doesn’t really have any scope to add anything else to the plan - we have 3 week to do NYC, Anguilla and then a roadtrip down the East Coast of the USA; time is a precious commodity!

uk
Level Contributor
3,712 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Unless you really want to stop in Iceland as suggested above I would certainly recommend Aer Lingus.

Completing immigration in Dublin is a real advantage and their general product is quite good.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Just curious what problems that you had with Continental Glasgow to Newark. We fly this route every year or two and except for one equipment problem which resulted in a long delay that we were very well compensated for, our flights have always been on-time, fairly comfortable and non eventful. We also fly United to San Fransisco with no problems. Again, just curious?

London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Icelandair versus Aer Lingus - Business Class

Aer Lingus seating and space on its A330s will outdo Icelandair's in business class by a long shot - Icelandair is cheap, but the business class is like early 1990s seating. Aer Lingus is much closer to what you get from others.