We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
152 reviews
Save Topic
What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

Firstly apologies for using 2 and u in the title, I am limited on letters!

On recent travels it got me thinking, what do you expect to get from an airline if you get delayed?

I had a flight booked with Air Asia and we had been informed at check in we would be delayed by an hour. Luckily we had given ourselves a good amount of time for our connecting flights. The check in staff even apologised. When we were waiting for our flight in departures they gave everyone a bottle of water and a doughnut, even though it was only an hour. I found this unexpected from a budget airline.

We then had 2 flights with Emirates which were delayed. No reason because of the airline, something to do with an issue with traffic control in Kuwait and someone hadn't boarded so they had to remove the luggage. On both occasions we were boarded early (I guess they didn't know about the issues at the time) and were on the plane for about 1.5 - 2 hrs before take off. It was quite warm on board and liquids had just been confiscated at security so people were getting thirsty. I would personally have expected a glass of water for that length of time?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

I sat on a Qantas plane last year at LAX. We taxied out, then there was a technical problem, but there was no available bay to go to so we have to 'park' on some remote area at the airport. While we were waiting we missed our departure slot to JFK and waited a bit longer, then had a passenger became ill (actually the passenger was sick before he boarded), so had to wait for the family and their luggage to be taken from the plane.

Can't remember how long we were actually delayed - about two and a half hours I think - but, we each got quite a yummy snack pack as well as drinks served.

Funny, coming back to Australia at LAX there was another delay (but we had not boarded yet) and we were all given another snack pack.

Uk
Level Contributor
348 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

Firstly check what the law entitles you to. EU law is as follows:

…europa.eu/ireland/…index_en.htm

Then do the following

1. Check what the airline's website says, you may be entitled to more than the legal minimum.

2. Check your travel insurance to see if you are entitled to any additional compensation.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

Luckily our delays weren't too bad, so I wouldn't take it any further, I just expected at least a soft drink during that time .......

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

If I am flying with a budget airline, I would expect nothing. If your train or bus was an hour late would you expect refreshments etc.

If I am flying long haul business class then I would expect to be looked after and catered for. In a way, it's part of good airline service.

It amazes me that people flying on the cheapest tickets seem to expect the most. By going low cost passengers should expect a lower level of service and look after themselves if delayed for an hour or two.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

I don't believe this is about entitlements - I think it's about how passengers will feel about an airline next time they choose to fly.

Bionic may well decide to pay a few dollars more to avoid Air Asia (maybe not) while IL2T probably feels quite good about Qantas. The snack packs and drinks probably cost the airline next to nothing and will pay for themselves if even one passenger chooses QF next time because they remember that the airline 'was nice to me'.

People are motivated by cost, but there is always some elasticity in their choice.

Airlines spend millions in advertising just to make people feel good about flying with them.

Virgin Australia give passenger free IFE if the flight is more than 15 mins late in departing - irrespective of fault. They don't have to, but now no one minds if they are delayed. Good marketing.

Bionic, I think you deserved a bottle of the finest French bubbles!! Chilled, of course.

Edited: 24 May 2012, 09:52
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

Hi all, perhaps I might have been mis-interpreted. I didn't really expect anything, other than a glass of water from Emirates. But I was surprised how I was treated by two different airlines, one budget and one non-budget. I thought it would have been the other way round.

Champagne is always nice ;-)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

"If your train or bus was an hour late would you expect refreshments etc. "

Yes, and I have received them. I have also received compensation from rail companies for delays of even 30 minutes. See eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/SiteCollectionDocum…

Plane travel is not rail travel. If something happens to the trains from London to Leicester I have several easy options, like rerouting via Birmingham or Peterborough, taking a coach or even renting a car if I am really pressed for time. If I am stuck in Brno because the one flight a day to Stansted is cancelled, I really don't have many options, certainly not many free ones that will get me home that day. The inconvenience and potential expense is much greater. That is one reason why air travel is treated differently to rail or bus travel under EU law.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
338 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

Do check what EU law states not FAQs! This applies to all EU registered airlines plus all airlines when departing the EU.

Full Regulation here: eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

The Regulation has also been amended by this precedent case (amongst others) with respect to delays: eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

The latter case (Sturgeon) has been subject to a legal stay in Eng/Wales but this is likely to be lifted once the ECJ rules on this challenge in the next 3 months or so since the legal Opinion on this challenge has stated categorically:

"since nothing new which might call into question the interpretation that the Court gave of those provisions in Sturgeon and Others has been presented by the parties to the disputes in the main proceedings, I do not see why the Court should reconsider that interpretation".

Edited: 24 May 2012, 10:16
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

EU regulations do not apply to an inter-Gulf flight on Emirates.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you expect an airline 2 give u when you're delayed?

My husband and I once spent 4 hours on the tarmac at JFK due to thunderstorms all along the east coast. United gave everyone a drink and a voucher (which we could only use from the US so it wasn't that much use for us). I wasn't really expecting anything, it's not like United caused the weather event and it was probably affecting them far more than it was affecting me.

My only gripe was that we had got up at 2am, not found anything particularly appetising at the airport at 5am and had reassured ourselves of a breakfast on arrival in San Francisco, so I was starving. By the time we finally arrived we made a very good lunch! :) I far preferred almost starving to death (OK, slight exaggeration) to really dying if the plane got into difficulties in the wild weather.