We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much in advance can flights be booked

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
517 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
How much in advance can flights be booked

Not sure how to title this question - LOL. A few days ago, I booked with FF miles a one-way trip from LHR business class on United and have been unable to "select seats". This was a return from the one-way I booked 2 weeks earlier (also one-way) and was able at that time to select seats.

I checked with my university's online travel and couldn't even book because that website said that the date was not 331 days out. I also checked Travelocity (this morning) and got the same message. Frankly, I didn't think that booking April 22, 2013 on May 22, 2012 was 331 days - but United let me do so...and debited my miles accordingly.

So...bottom line question - does going directly with the airline let you book farther out than the 331 days? We decided to blow a lot of miles for business class and I know from experience to watch the sites daily and strike when something is available.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
517 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much in advance can flights be booked

Forgot to ask my real question - is this why I'm unable to book seats because United let me book past the 331 days?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much in advance can flights be booked

For most major airlines it's actually 330 days out. This is a GDS limitation deliberately put in to prevent booking the wrong year (IE 2012 instead of 2013). It probably is one reason you can't book seats. I would go back in a day or two and see if you can book seats at that time. Exactly 330 days from April 22, 2013 would be May 27, 2012.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
517 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much in advance can flights be booked

Thanks vegas-guide. Will do just that. And thanks for figuring out the days for me (I'm hopeless at calendar days- LOL)

4. Re: How much in advance can flights be booked

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 13:17