We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Bingley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Evening,

I am due to embark on my first holiday to the West Coast from England, heading to Las Vegas then LA and San Francisco; it's also our first flight with a connection. We are flying to minneapolis from London and have a 1:50 connection time at MSP before our onward flight to las Vegas. It is 4 pax (adults), all booked on one ticket. Can someone explain the process of:

- disembarking to boarding connection flight; do we collect our bags, do we go through immigration? Can we fast track our immigration? Or get our baggage transferred from 1st to 2nd plane?

- will I be able to collect both boarding cards at heathrow or will I have to collect boarding cards again etc?

- do we have to re do security at MSP, or will we automatically be able to re enter departures without the search ?

Thank you for all your help!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

When yu check in at LHR you should get your boarding passes for both flights.

On arrival in MSP you need to firstly clear US Immigration , there might well be a queue at this point, collect bags, clear US Customs, hand back your bags to Delta (there should be a drop off desk just after Customs) and transfer to the gate for your connecting flight which will probably require you to clear airport security.

I personally normally allow around 3 hrs to get through all the formalities for a connecting flight - it can be done in less but you have little room for problems such as a delayed incoming flight or queues at immigration.

If you miss the connecting flight then Delta will put you on the next flight that has available seats.

I assume you have your ESTAs for the US.

Bingley, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Mine and my partners are still valid from a trip to NYC last year, so we have just updated them. The other two are doing theirs shortly. Thanks for your help!

Do they have an obligation for the next available flight (ie any carrier) or is it only Delta flights? I'm only so nervous as they've already changed the flight times twice!

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,317 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

"Do they have an obligation for the next available flight (ie any carrier) or is it only Delta flights? I'm only so nervous as they've already changed the flight times twice!"

If you miss the connection they are not obliged to re-route on another carrier although they can do this at their discretion.

To increase your chances of catching the connecting flight try to get seats as near the front of the plane as possible and walk briskly once you get off to US Immigration - no stops for restroom breaks allowing others to overtake you.

In all probability you will be ok as long as your transatlantic flight is on time - you might want to look at the MSP Airport website so you are familiar with the layout ahead of travel.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

You might want to check with DL and see if the latest schedule meets MCT. If not, they should change it at no charge as the change was airline imposed. If you do miss the onward flight, DL has 6 non-stop flights a day from MSP to LAS and a number of connecting flights. They should be able to reaccommodate you on a later flight..

St. Paul, MN, US
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

I doubt you'll have to clear security again in MSP. I'm almost positive passengers are able to transfer directly without going out of the secure area. (This is not 100% as I live in MSP so I haven't transferred but I'm going by memory) The immigration lines at MSP move pretty quickly. If I'm guessing right, you're arriving around 3:30, a time that isn't particularly heavy for international flights so it will probably move quickly. You probably won't have time to enjoy a Caribou Coffee but I think you might be able to make your flight if you move quickly.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,165 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

I'm not familiar with MSP but what I've seen in most airports is that after you've had access to your checked bags and are connecting to another flight, you will need to clear security again. This is to prevent someone from retrieving some type of 'banned' object from their checked bag and now having it in their carry on bag.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,758 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Good information. FYI, you will need to re-do security but the process is simple and specific to transit passengers making connections. Regarding DL's responsibility to get you on the next flight out, it's a mute point as to which carrier as DL is the dominant hub carrier and will have more flights than anyone else. In fact, I'm not sure any other carrier would offer non-stop MSP-LAS.

You are definitely time challenged with just 1:50. But the airport functions very well. Do also be prepared in advance with a listing of next flights out so you have a sense of what to do for a Plan B.

Good luck.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,211 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Tumbleweedand it is not the next flight out that is Delta's resposibility.It is the next flight with available seats in the booked class.That might not be until the next day.

I would be extremely uncomfortable with under 2 hours.I use a minimum of 3 hours when entering the USA

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
946 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Tumbleweedand it is not the next flight out that is Delta's resposibility.It is the next flight with available seats in the booked class.That might not be until the next day.

I suppose you mean "next flight with available seats in the booked cabin". Booked class would reduce the probability to a small number unless its an unristricted ticket.

Edited: 30 May 2012, 09:42
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,093 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: LHR-MSP-LAS flight with Delta

Personal preference is not to do a connection in the US or anywhere with pre-clearance. By not doing so you avoid the joy of US immigration procedures whilst stressing about making your next flight and miss the delights of being sexually molested by the TSA.

Note I say the same about the UK.

< I suppose you mean "next flight with available seats in the booked cabin". Booked class would reduce the probability to a small number unless its an unristricted ticket. >

No, often if you miss a connection due to the fault of the airline you get put into the next class up if there isn't a seat in your class

Edited: 30 May 2012, 12:16