We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

Sidney, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

A recent charter from Calgary to the Mayan Riveria on a Sunwing Holiday, proved that the management will do anything to maximize their payload, lie through their teeth with excuses for delays and generally do not support their airport staff with correct information. So-called enhanced seating (at extra cost) is a joke...a regular seat with a very modest increase of leg room and maybe a free cocktail. "Lipstick on a pig" comes to mind (forgive me, pigs)...Sunwing management run a cheap airline in all respects. Travellers shouldn't expect much from them.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,969 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

Well, I gave in a booked a pkg.holiday with SunWing.. Last Charter was years an years ago. Tell me I didn't do the wrong thing ??

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

I'm sure it will be fine. Enjoy your holiday and report back:)

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

Avoid if you can.

3 posts
Save Reply
44. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

I've also experienced VERY bad service from Sunwing. I will NEVER book with them again...

3 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

Just experienced HORRIBLE Sunwing customer service. I will NEVER book with them again.

Avoid Sunwing!

Canada
Level Contributor
4,906 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

Wow, the last 3 posts on this ancient thread are really ....erudite.

Listowel, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

It has taken me two years to calm down enough to recount the absolute worst travel experience of my life: a return trip from Paris on Sunwing in 2012. 1. Saturday A.M., an hour before flight time. Flight is posted as on time. 2. Flight time Sat A.M. - Flight is still posted as on time. 3. An hour later: Flight is posted as delayed. 4. An hour later: Flight is postponed till next day. (Turns out Sunwing was renting only six jets from Air Portugal. If one is disabled, they are stuck.) 5. We take a long walk to baggage claim to pick up our bags. 6 We take local buses ( only a few of us on each bus) to our hotel. 7. The buses do not drop us off in front of our hotel. We have to lift our luggage to carry it over gravel. Elderly customers have trouble with this. 8. Already nighttime, the hotel lobby is jammed with about 200 of us. It takes an hour to check in. 9. The hotel issues confusing food vouchers. Many people end up not using them. 10. We get a 2 A.M. wake-up call for a 7 A.M. flight. 11. We arrive at the bus stop at 3 A.M., and wait an hour to board ( again only a few people on each bus.) 12. Between security and checking in our bags again, we barely make the 7 A.M. flight. 13. A scheduled 1 hour stop in Amsterdam, ( now a day late), becomes a 2-3 hour one. 14. The captain announces to fasten your seat belts and prepare for flight several times. All laugh and don't fasten their seat belts. By this point they don't believe it. 15. When we finally think we are bound for Toronto, the captain announces an unscheduled stop in Newfoundland. 16. We stop there, because the crew has flown too long without a break. None of them had flown as long as we passengers. 17. While we wait for a new crew to be flown in from Toronto, the small airport restaurants are too overwhelmed for most people to have time to use the food vouchers provided. 18. When we finally depart, Sunwing offers us a $75 voucher for future flights. Most of us joke about it as Enron stock. I rip mine up. Even people who had defended Sunwing are becoming disgusted. 19. We land in Toronto about 9 P.M Sunday night. We had started at 8 A.M. ( 2 A.M., Toronto time, Saturday A.M. It has taken close to two days, with little rest. 20 Two years later, I calm down enough to write this review. Does anyone at Sunwing remember this flight?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

wow - 2 years to calm down....that's not normal..

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
42,564 posts
1,283 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

<<15. When we finally think we are bound for Toronto, the captain announces an unscheduled stop in Newfoundland.>>

Depending on the aircraft in use, and the headwinds aloft, this is fairly common, and a stop in Newfoundland is far, far preferable to running out of fuel, say over Lake Ontario. At least for me it is.

Fly safely,

Hunt

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,291 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Sunwing...Avoid if Possible

"wow - 2 years to calm down....that's not normal.."

======

Still no paragraphs. Maybe another year required.

I remember there were a lot of Sunwing issues posted here a couple of years ago. I wonder if the last question (Does anyone at Sunwing remember this flight) is a plea for compensation, which fhaight would probably be entitled to.