We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

los angeles
Level Contributor
433 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

KLM 400 LAX to AMS is 3x4x3. I have always avoided center section on flights. However, my adult daughter and i are travelling together and she has bum leg. Should we book 2 of the 4 center section seats so she gets an aisle for her leg AND we don't have stranger climbing over us? If we book a three-side (aisle and middle) then the window seat person would climb over us. Any thoughts from anyone who has taken this aircraft or flight?

The return is MD11 and it is 3x3x3. thinking of splitting up and each getting aisle seat....never done this either. any thoughts?

both planes for long haul flights sound pretty miserable from the reviews!

uk
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

Firstly the window person is unlikely to climb over you, they'll expect you to stand up so they can get in or out.

Also, your daughter may not want to keep her leg in the aisle, i imagine it will regularly get knocked.

Given the situation you've described i'd go for the middle section.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,805 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

Definitely book two in the middle 4. If it is a couple they'll climb over each other and if it is two singles they'd rather climb over one stranger than two. ( or ask the same number of people to get out) Sitting on the aisle and middle seat of 3 across guarantees there will be someone whose egress you are blocking.

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

Totally agree - I fly NZ to Scotland a fair bit on my own and I much prefer an aisle seat in the middle, so that I don't disturb anyone, I get up and down a fair bit as I get restless. I once had a window seat and I hated having to ask two people to stand up - bearing in mind that people try to sleep on a longhaul flight so you feel bad disturbing them. As a couple I would still go for the middle rather than window :)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,660 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

Nope... here is my strategy. Go fairly far back in the plane and then book the two aisle seats of the middle four seats. With luck, one of the two middle seats, maybe both depending on the travel day will be empty. If one or both gets taken, you have the option of trading with that person. If they remain empty, you will have extra room. If you took the middle two, or two on one side of the middle, the other seats would be more likely to be taken by others.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

I've done this strategy and it worked, a person will have no problem swapping to an aisle seat if it doesn't work out. If any free seats they are likely to be down the back, something to do with weight distributiion

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

I would follow Geomedic's advice as this solution has worked for me in the past, it's always a risk if the planes full but the further back in the plane you book the better chance you have of having all 4 seats to yourselves.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

Is it 343 all the way back? Many 747s I've been on are 242 for the back couple of rows, if those are available ( sometimes you need to pay a premium for them) that would IMO be a good solution for you.

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

I just looked at KLM's 747-400 (if that is what you meant by a KLM 400).

At the back the seating formation goes 2-4-2 (I usually always opt for the 2's).

That way you don't have to sit in the middle either.

Seating plans are at:

klm.com/travel/…index.htm

los angeles
Level Contributor
433 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

It is a 747 combi, so there are no options for those "two seats together" toward the back of the plane. I had originally thought it was a 747-400 that does have those options and planned to book them even though there was slight upcharge for them.

I am considering following the good advice about picking the two aisle seats in the center section -- a bit further back. Thanks!

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking 2 of 4 in center section of KLM 747-400

In my experience, the days of booking non-adjoining seats and hoping the middle stays empty are gone. The airlines are getting extremely efficient at filling seats.

My favorite seats on a widebody are the middle isles for exactly the reasons you give. You can get up when you want. But if you fall asleep, there's a chance for other people to get out without needing to cross you.

There are pros and cons of booking two aisle seats. The advantage is that you both get aisle seats. But you'll have to speak loudly to talk to each other - especially if the seats are offset - annoying people around you. And the two of you are now sharing armrests with two people... doubling your chance of having to share one with somebody you would prefer not to.