We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing Airlines

dumbarton
Level Contributor
40 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sunwing Airlines

Hi just to ask any info on sunwing airlines , using them this July from Glasgow to Toronto are they ok cheers

285 replies to this topic
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Out of Canada for charters we dont' have alot of options, but I've used them and they were fine and I've used Transat and they were not, and vice versa. They are a charter and if something goes wrong somewhere, it can affect many other flights. I find them no worse or better than the other charters (although I really don't care for canjet). I did however like Canada 3000 back in the day, but of course they are no more:(

Vancouver, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Sunwing Airlines

DO NOT FLY SUNWING. We had a party of 13 plus young children leaving Calgary to Cuba. Our group paid over $20 000.

First Problem: agent asked for payment two weeks before stated payment due date upon booking and putting deposit down. My guests then had to be informed that full payment was due right away or there would be no seats left on plane. When called to ask about this was told by another agent that this was not the case and original payment date was just fine. When group agent finally returned call she again asked for payment. She said do not call other agents again.

Second Problem: We were concerned about baggage allowances travelling with children and were told that allowances would be made for our group. This did not happen, very embarrassing when guests were asked to pay $200 plus dollars for 1 extra bag.

Third Problem: When group members asked to upgrade rooms, which our agent said was an option the price she quoted us was $400-$1200 over the published web price on their site. When asked she said there was nothing she could do as we paid our deposit 2 weeks prior and that was the price at the time.

If you have a wedding or group vacation do not book with Sunwing. My impression is once they get their deposit money they just want to meet their monthly quota and you will receive conflicting information from an agent who does not like phone calls and will only communicate by email.

scarborough
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Worst travel experience in my entire life. Whatever you save on the ticket you will be nickel and dimed to death afterwards. The carry on dimensions are smaller than ANY other airline in the world. Expect to check ALL of your baggage at $20 A KILO!!!!! We ended up paying nearly $1000 in luggage fees because of their ridiculous rules. The rep at the counter said, take it over leave. Yeah right, me and wife soon to be wife on a destination wedding should just leave all our things there right? They lost two of our pieces and upon our return SUNWING wanted me to fill out a form...IN JAMAICA! so sad too bad!

IT TOOK THREE WEEKS TO GET A RESPONSE! Wouldn't talk to use by phone, only email. Three weeks later we get a form response. I travel all the time..I will NEVER EVER USE THEM AGAIN.

vancouver canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Just wondering if anybody knows if Sunwing falls under any Canadian air transportation regulations. I know in the past charters didn't fall under the same regulations as scheduled carriers. For example Westjet. My wife and I are travelling to Cancun in two weeks. My experience before with SkyService was let's say less than satisfactory. I just want to be educated before we go. Thanks!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sunwing Airlines

They dont' fall under scheculed airline regulations, but for the other poster who chose Transat over Sunwing, I've been an agent for 19 years and have had more problems with AT. Doesnt' matter, in my opininon it's all a crap shoot. I don't know if I would take them to Europe though.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sunwing Airlines

To the previous poster who had a group. The deposit is always due at time of booking, but a group's final payment is due 60 days before departure, not the usual 45 days prior, so that may have just been a miscommunication. This is not specific to Sunwing, Transat, Sunquest, Nolitours, they all have this rule.

Also, the luggage allwed is 20kilos per person (can be split in two bags for free), this is also what other airlines charter airlines in canada charge and what they have always had as their rule (Westjet is not a charter). Seems to me that post #12 and #13 were either given bad info from their booking agent or did not read the fine print. There is no difference from them to any other canadian charter (and right now just speaking of their south product, since that is what they were talking about in their posts). But these were both one posters, so I assume we wont' hear from them again.

alberta
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Never fly with sunwing!! Flew from Edmonton to cancun and back. Delayed both ways due to catering issues and after that there still wasn't enough food! When leaving cancun I was forced to pay $240 is overweight baggage charges. They said my wife and I were over by 12kg! I knew it was absolute BS but there's nothing I could do about it. I got home and weighed the luggage. One weighed 20.5kg and the other 18.5kg. You're allowed 20kg each, how can their scales be out that much?! Wrote an email telling them what happened and got no refund at all. Said the scales are calibrated often. Basically a big F U. Will never fly with them again.

alberta
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Never fly with sunwing!! Flew from Edmonton to cancun and back. Delayed both ways due to catering issues and after that there still wasn't enough food! When leaving cancun I was forced to pay $240 is overweight baggage charges. They said my wife and I were over by 12kg! I knew it was absolute BS but there's nothing I could do about it. I got home and weighed the luggage. One weighed 20.5kg and the other 18.5kg. You're allowed 20kg each, how can their scales be out that much?! Wrote an email telling them what happened and got no refund at all. Said the scales are calibrated often. Basically a big F U. Will never fly with them again. My best experiences have been with Westjet and Air Transat

Bradford West...
Level Contributor
542 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Sunwing Airlines

well in response to #17 post, it was probably most likely the rep at the airport counter in Cancun that was lets say "adding weight to the scale with his/her foot". I have heard of this so many times while travelling down south, a way to get them some extra money, and yest it looks bad on the airline but most of them dont work for the airline but work for the airport. Like in Cuba, the reps checking you in at the airport dont work for Sunwing etc, they work for the airport authority.

We have flown Sunwing numerous times out of Toronto to Cuba and DR and we have never had a problem. Flights were always on time and no problems with our luggage.

They do weigh your carry on in Toronto and they do stick with the 5kgs for carry one, you might get away with being 1-2lbs over but not very likely. When it comes to the checked bags, if you are travelling with someone, they will usually weigh them together, thats whats happened when we have flown with them anyways.

Its like any other airline, you either hate them or you dont mind them. They are a typical charter airline.

And for anyone complaining about the lugagge restrictions and fees, you HAVE to read the airlines lugagge rules. That is the only way you will know what the regulations are. I do agree the carry on limit is quite low compared to other charters but when we have flown with ANY airline, I look up the information first so I know what to expect. Dont assume that it is the same as all the other airlines, thats when you can get into trouble.

The planes that fly south could use some updating or refurbishing and I know the planes they use for over seas flights are leased from other leasing/ airline companies

I have never flown Sunwing on long haul flights to Europe before so i cant comment on that part, but the experiences we have had flying south, there hasnt been any issues.

Winnipeg Canada
Destination Expert
for Winnipeg
Level Contributor
4,585 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Sunwing Airlines

Thanks for the updates.

Reply to: Sunwing Airlines
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted