We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

On a recent flight, I was laughing at the people stood right near the start of the belt, saying what is the point, the cases will come round anyway.

So the cases came round and gradually off went the passengers.

We were then left with just the one case going round and round....looking very much like ours but there was no one to claim it!

You guessed it....someone had picked up our case!

Now if we had been stood nearer the start....we would have ended up with the correct case!

I know where I will stand in future!!!

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

did you get YOUR case back?

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

Yeah, usually in the first third. On a recent flight someone had the identical bag, but I use a neon green round luggage tag. Even my daughter thought it was mine, but I was waiting for the tag, and it soon came out.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

the next day, the people who took it went back to the airport, then we got a call and the passengers brought it to us, they were embarrassed! Easily done I suppose but very inconvenient!!

Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
612 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

Where I can see bags coming out, onto the carousel, once I spot my case I keep it in my sight until I am holding it.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,002 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

That's generally what do but I think this was off before we had even spotted it!

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

I stand back And then I force my way up front and take my luggage off. I try not to step on feet or hit folks with my bag, but if you are defending your space as if it is some kind of territory then..,,

What I really love is the family groups. ALL of them must stand shoulder to shoulder at the belt. And as their bags come off they build a wall behind them so that no one else will DARE come near the belt. I just barge through. LOL.

Pembroke Pines...
Destination Expert
for Doral
Level Contributor
612 posts
599 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

<<<What I really love is the family groups. ALL of them must stand shoulder to shoulder at the belt. And as their bags come off they build a wall behind them so that no one else will DARE come near the belt. I just barge through. LOL.>>>

-----

You are so right CarolLee... you can see that every time.

----

My family, when we travel together, they stay aside, bags are my job and so far none lost :)

Edited: 01 June 2012, 00:50
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

Yeah.. Even when it is my family one of us claims luggage, one transports to the rest of the family and they organize.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,297 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

Yep, I am one of those people standing near where the bags come out. it only happened to me once that someone grabbed my bag. I saw my bag coming, a guy grabbed it and started walking away, but I was able to catch up to him.

Now I stand back from the conveyor, but in a position to see the bags as they come out. Then I push my way thru the crowd that has gathered right up at the conveyor. I am often amazed at the people who give me a dirty look as if I am being rude to retrieve my bag from in front of them even though their bags are nowhere in sight.

I never noticed, but are those the same people who stand in front of the gate blocking the boarding area for those who have higher priority?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,123 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: where do you stand at the baggage carousel?

The moronic behaviour of the general public at large is no better demonstrated than when flying and the baggage carousel situation sums it up perfectly. When people crowd the carousel you can't see the bags or have room to retrieve them. It's utter idiocy and drives me potty every time.