We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
Save Topic
22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Hi everybody,

in addition to my Kuala Lumpur airport question (another thread, already answered by you fabulous TripAdvisor-members!), I have another question - this time concerning my flight BACK from New Zealand. Sorry for such a newbie question, but I only flew one time in my life yet and now, of all things, I am starting with a complicated 20.000-kilometers-travel ... Yes, I am nervous.

It concerns the following: I want to take the Emirates flight 419 from Christchurch to Dubai. Some sites confusingly shows this as a 22-hours-Nonstop-flight (I guess that's even not possible with one single tankful ...). Other sites, and this seems correct, show two stops in Sydney and Bangkok. Both stops with 1 hour 30 waiting each, the whole route keeps the same flight number.

So: How do I have to imagine this? Am I under the correct impression that I will the travel with the same machine from the same gate the whole time, just having some free time between it where they re-tank it and I can leave the plane? Or will I have to find a new gate every time like with a "real" connection flight? If it is always the same plane just with some "between stop" (a bit like a train), this probably is the easiest connection for me.

If anybody could give me a note if I am right or wrong, I would be grateful. Thanks to you all, really, really appreciated!

Edited: 01 June 2012, 18:31
1. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 June 2012, 16:23
Edited: 02 June 2012, 16:23
Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Hi and thanks for the answer - I'm having a look at the Emirates homepage right now. A little bit confusing as they also say the flight has "2 Stops", but don't list where they are even if I select the flight. (Unfortunately can't put a screenshot here ...) No use for these details here, of course, I guess I'll just have to find out and I hopefully will. Just wanted to at least be informed how this direct flights work. Thanks for the info.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

You can choose routing with only one stop (BKK) or two stops (SYD and BKK).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where did you find that information on EK website? EK only fly CHC-SYD-BKK-DXB.

It's the same plane all the way from Christchurch to Dubai.

Take a look at the timetables and you will see the stops.

emirates.com/english/…FlightSchedule.aspx

Edited: 01 June 2012, 18:58
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Normally the same flight number means the same plane. They will stop and drop off passengers, and pick up new ones probably. They will also refuel.

I can't say if they will ask you to stay on the plane or get off.

Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

I made a quick screenshot from the ER homepage with comments - maybe this illustrates my understanding problems:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9226287/Flights.jpg

I'll surely chose the right thing in the end, thanks again for all your help though!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,982 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Well I certainly would not choose option 3 as there's a 9 hour layover in BKK.

As the flight EK4019 is the same for all three with option 1 you will stay with the same aircraft all the way to Dubai.

Option 2 you would need to get off at SYD, wait 3 1/2 hors and get on another aircraft. The only reason you would do this would be to experience the new A380. IMO not worth the hasle.

For me I'd take option1

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

It's all the same first flight as everyone sayss.

I would also go for option 1, for the same reasons as Ronaldo. Unless you really want to have a 9 hour layover or 3.5 hours in syd.

Frankfurt, Germany
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Thanks for the comments, they are really helpful. I'll have a careful look again before booking anything, of course, but your vote for option 1 already helps me a lot! Thanks for the jump-start for an (yet) unexperienced flyer!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,371 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Same flight number, should mean same plane. Emirates operate several flights that continue on to New Zealand through Australia.

Anyway, when I take the flight from Brisbane to Dubai through Singapore, I am assigned the same seat for the whole flight and in Singapore everyone must disembark and take any cabin baggage, because the plane will be cleaned. The direct flight from Dubai to Brisbane continues on to Auckland, where again all transit passengers must disembark in Brisbane with their cabin baggage while the plane is cleaned.

Hope this helps.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,761 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 22-hours-"Nonstop"-flight Christchurch-Dubai with Emirates

Hi,

"Same flight number, should mean same plane."

Just as an FYI, in order for it to be correctly called "direct" service, *only* the flight NUMBER itself needs to remain the same.

You can still be required to change aircraft-- same type to same type (i.e. going from one B772 to another different B772) , or to a different type of aircraft altogether.

So long as the flight number remains the same, it can legitimately be called direct service.

For many situations, since there is only one plane of that carrier in play (or at the stopover point) it will naturally be the same aircraft inbound and outbound, but that in and of itself is not a mandatory element of being a direct flight

Travel Safe,