We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways - never again - a disgrace

uk
Level Contributor
14 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways - never again - a disgrace

Has anybody had any luck in getting some form of compensation from British Airways? All I get is platitudes. I paid extra for bulkhead seats on a long haul flight and didn't get the seats. Not only that but the BA plane on the return leg was disgusting. We were right next to the toilets and the smell of stale urine was overpowering the whole ten and a half hours. The plane was antiquated and the "entertainment system" was dysfunctional. So far I haven't even managed to get a refund of the extra I paid for the seats I didn't get. Does anyone have any tips? I will do my best never to fly BA again

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
221. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

A flight is not " horrendous" simply because it's an old plane. You need to expand on your comment further. What was "horrendous " about it exactly?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
222. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

Hi,

Re: 220

"I wouldn't pay the same price to rent an SUV and a Nissan Micra"

==>. Very true *if* equipment was a part of and/or formed a part of the contract to which you agreed to when you booked.

With car rentals, the "class" or "size" of car is usually as far as a rental agency goes in that end - yes, some do explicitly stet you will get an XYZ model, but most only use a generally size.

Hotels use a similar methodology -- speaking to room type, but not explicitly to a location or other further individuality metrics.

For airlines, the actual aircraft is rarely ever a contractual matter .. They can use the newest of new plane, or the oldest of old plane.. That's their call.

Really the only part that is addressed explicitly is the "class" of service - be that First, Business or Economy (or their respective service marked names)

That said, I do still think that even with the oldest of old planes, that you are still given a clean, workable and serviceable aircraft ... But "newness" isn't a part of that.

So long as your plane was clean, workable and serviceable, then I think there is no shortcoming on BAs part.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 18 May 2014, 06:29
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
223. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

How are you covered by paying same price for flights but getting totally different planes? I wouldn't pay the same price to rent an SUV and a Nissan Micra

-----

No, but you would pay the same price to (say) Hertz to rent a BMW SUV that is brand new or will be retired after your rental.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
224. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

"How are you covered by paying same price for flights but getting totally different planes?"

Because you are paying for transport from A to B. Nothing more, nothing less. Assuming you were carried in the class of service you booked then you have no recourse.

Also, it doesn't matter whether you were in a brand spanking new plane on the outbound (A380 or 777-300ER) and a 24 year old plane due for retirement (747-400), the fundamental hard product on BA is the same (lie flat in F and J) and AVOD in WT+ and Y. That consistency fleet wide is much better than many carriers, including the one I fly.

Suppose you had the 747 on the outbound and were then a swanky new 380/77W on the return that far exceeded your expectations. Would you be willing to pay BA more?

Manchester
Level Contributor
51 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
225. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

Thanks all for the clarification that it is purely the transport and not the equipment. I think I'll just write to BA with some suggestions to help improve the experience

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
58,605 posts
452 reviews
Save Reply
226. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

I'm sure they will be happy to receive constructive feedback. I doubt they will be able to put a brand new plane on to every flight though!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
227. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

I am quite sure BA knows that their fleet is one of the oldest in Europe. Broken seats etc. are such things you can and should complain, but the age of the plane..don't know about that. BA has good safety record and the product is pretty similar in all planes, regardless of the age question.

There are lot of ongoing discussion over this on FlyerTalk and I believe BA even follows those threads sometimes. The oldest 747's are going to be retired in a few years time. I you want to avoid them, try to choose routes that are flown with newer planes: http://www.thebasource.com/aircraft.html

There are plenty of companies that only use relatively new planes, Norwegian, Emirates etc. They have a different strategy (cheap labour). Just use them?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
228. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

>>Thanks all for the clarification that it is purely the transport and not the equipment. I think I'll just write to BA with some suggestions to help improve the experience<<

But how was the flight " horrendous" ?

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
9,667 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
229. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

Comment 227

<<There are plenty of companies that only use relatively new planes, Norwegian, Emirates etc.>>

Also in Emirates the seat layout is a bit of luck. Especially if you fly first class you can either have a seat not as good as today's A380 business class or a little cabin for yourself which makes you feel truly in heaven.

Every company has a fleet with some newer and older aircrafts. Emirates is retiring some of their older B777. So it is always a little bit of luck.

Eastbourne, United...
1 post
Save Reply
230. Re: British Airways - never again - a disgrace

l traveled from Los Angeles to London on supposedly premium seating, was sat by toilets both sides!! and was treated very poorly by staff. They were either overworked or customer training left a lot to be desired!!