We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

Chigwell, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

I'll be flying into London City next week and wonder if one side of the aircraft is better than the other as regards good views of the City, so my young grandson gets the best view. I want to choose the best seats when I check in on line. Thanks.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

It will depend on which runway is in use. That can change, even hour by hour.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
780 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

If the wind is blowing from the West, which it does most days, you will see little of London on approach, if however its is from the East, as it is today your approach will take you right over Central London. There would then be plenty to see whichever side you are on, probably a little more exiting on the right hand side . A lot will depend on where you are flying in from which will determine which way you turn in to the approach.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,389 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

I don't know the answer to the question, but there is only one runway at London City.

Chigwell, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

Thanks, Bongodog. We'll be coming in from Malaga. Wish I was coming in now and seeing the Jubilee pageant - it looks wonderful on tv.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
17,312 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

There is a single runway at LCY. If you sit on the right hand side, you'll get an excellent view on the University of East London Docklands Campus.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

There are two runways at London City. They are the same strip of tarmac but they are two distinct runways for operational purposes.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
780 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

If you are flying in from Malaga, you will join the LCY circuit from the South, if the wind is from the West you won't see much anyway, if the wind is from the East, sit on the left hand side and you will see most of London as the plane turns into the final approach.

Are you flying out of LCY, if so your choice of seat then might be important for sightseeing.

To see how the routes in and out of LCY work look on http://www.flightradar24.com/

You can easily pick up flights in and out of LCY, its busiest 7 - 9 am and 4 - 6pm. Don't try looking between noon saturday and noon Sunday as its closed !

London
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

You'll be on an Embrarer aircraft, so the seating is only 2+2.

You may want to look at these seating plans

http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps.html

(Look for E190 type aircraft)

The more important thing is to ensure you're not sitting in the wing area, as that can reduce your view of the ground.

(And as others have said, pray that you have an east wind for final approach, as this is when you get the really dramatic approach over central London)

London, England
Level Contributor
1,648 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

Yeah 'pray that you have an east wind '; and a clear day obviously! However, I can see aircraft taking off and landing at City from Blackheath at the end of our street, and the instances of a strong East wind are sufficiently rare for me to be surprised when -in that circumstance- we see craft approaching from the west, over London and Docklands, as opposed to their usual run in from the eastern suburbs and river .

Chigwell, England
Level Contributor
115 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which side of aircraft London City airport landing

Thanks for all your comments. We came in yesterday from the East on the single runway at LCY. Interesting but the only recognisable landmark was the QE2 bridge. Good flight and plenty of legroom in the Embraer 190.