We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

changes to advanced bookings

Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
changes to advanced bookings

I would be grateful for any advice anyone might have regarding my flight booking. I have booked flights to HNL from DUB, via Heathrow and LAX. I have a through ticket to Lax and then need to make a an internal connection to HNL. This is on a different ticket. I have booked the trip through a travel agent and have comprehensive cover for missed departures etc.

My question is what happens if the airline makes a change to the flight times and the connection can't be made? I won't be traveling until next march . The connection time in Lax is only 2hrs 10mins at the moment. I will only have carry on and hope to have checked in on line for this flight.

Will my travel agent be able to take care of this or is it up to me?

Edited: 03 June 2012, 17:31
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: changes to advanced bookings

IF they are completely separate tickets on 2 completely separate airlines then IF you miss the connection you'll have to buy another ticket!!

The first airline has NO responsibility to get you to LAX in time to make your 2nd flight!!'

Your travel agent will not be able to do anything for you.

I'd be angry at the agent for buying you separate tickets in the first place!!

Depending on which terminal at LAX you fly into your 2nd flight MAY be in a completely different terminal and that MAY require you to go through security again. I'd go back to the agent and get all the details!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,145 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: changes to advanced bookings

Wouldn't the OP also have to clear immigration at LAX? If so, 2h10m sounds pretty unrealistic.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: changes to advanced bookings

+1 Riff M

And yes, immigration will happen at LAX if it's a non-stop flight from London.

In three words - dump that agent.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: changes to advanced bookings

I presume you booked it this way because it was cheaper but this could be a majorly false move.It's even possible for example that flight times could change enough your flight to HNL could have taken off before you even landed at LAX !

As said, 2 hours might not be enough as it is even with carry on only. I would go back to your travel agent, point out they have sold you a crock, and get the flights fixed so it's all on itinerary.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 18:52
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: changes to advanced bookings

I did not know that a "through flight" meant a non stop from London.

IF that is the case then it is absolutely HOPELESS to expect to get through customs , immigration, change terminals AND go through security again in 2hrs. (IF the plane lands on time!)!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: changes to advanced bookings

Thanks for your help on this. I will have to clear immigration in LAX as I am flying with a British carrier. The other flights on offer were on a through ticket but had connection times of 1hr 20mins and 2hrs, this didn't seem great either.I have checked that I am covered for missed/ delayed flights with my insurance. Does my agent have a duty to help me if the airlines make changes to either flight? I booked this as a package holiday with an agent because I thought this would give me some backup, what do you think?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,630 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: changes to advanced bookings

I really have no experience with pkg holidays as I prefer to choose my flights and hotels myself. I guarantee that there are OTHER flight choices besides the ones offered with this pkg!

Even IF these flights are not changed I don't see a strong possibility that you'd make the 2nd flight from LAX. Why wait until you are there and you miss the plane to change things??? Of course with insurance you'd be able to get another flight but it would take time and be a pain in the "you know what"!!!

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: changes to advanced bookings

"I will have to clear immigration in LAX as I am flying with a British carrier."

You would need to clear US Immigration and Customs regardless of the carrier. It would have been much better if you had selected a flight that went to the US out of Dublin rather than throwing in the LHR stop.

Most flights directly to the US out of Dublin go through US Immigration and customs preclearance prior to departure and are treated as regular domestic flights when they arrive in the US. Therefore 1 or 2 hour connections on through tickets are usually easily done.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 19:14
Ireland
Level Contributor
115 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: changes to advanced bookings

I will be flying from Dublin to London and on to LA. This is all one ticket . It is a internal flight to Honlulu

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: changes to advanced bookings

Yes, the point vegas-guide is making is that if you had flown direct to the US from Dublin you would have cleared US formalities in Dublin, saving you time on arrival.

I would not count on any travel agent who has put you in this position for help. I would see if the agent can get you a refund or a change for the Hawaii flight. I doubt that this will be possible, but you should try armed with what you have learned here.

If not, I would book an alternative online myself now while you still might get a good price, leaving yourself at least four hours at LAX.

Edited: 03 June 2012, 19:32