We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

I've just been offered this today for the first time ever, despite being a frequent flyer. So I thought I would give it a try and make an offer to upgrade.

Does anyone know how long it usually takes before you get confirmation on whether the customer's offer is accepted or not?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

In our case, Etihad's limits worked out just fine - we are just under 48km from Sydney airport and when we arrive in the UK, our first week is in Grasmere in the Lake District. Our hotel is 97 miles from Manchester airport, so again within Etihad's limits, but it would have exceeded Emirates' limit by nearly 30km. I have no idea how much we would have been charged and don't really care, because we weren't choosing an airline based on chauffeur transfers, but rather on making sure all legs had fully flat (ie horizontal) beds in long haul business class, which Etihad has but Emirates doesn't (not on all its planes at least). Moreover, we're absolutely ecstatic that we're not stuck in economy class this trip, which is something really to be relished and I can't believe our luck to get first class for less than I thought we'd have to pay for business :-)

Edited: 05 July 2012, 20:30
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

I bid on an upgrade 2 weeks before departure and PLUSGRADE told me they finalise the bidding process 24 hours before departure. Approx 33 hours before departure PLUSGRADE e-mailed me to inform me I was being upgraded.

I had to telephone Etihad call centre twice during the previous few days about other things and enquired about my PLUSGRADE bid. The information they gave me both times was incorrect - one of them told me my bid was rejected and she 'presumed' this because I hadn't heard any word back from PLUSGRADE at that stage (which was 48 hours before departure).

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

I've used this upgrade option a few times now and for London-Abu Dhabi and Abu Dhabi-London I paid about 600 USD each way to upgrade from economy to business class (close to the minimum they would accept bids for). Worth it in my opinion. No phone calls required. It would have been nice to have had the chauffeur limo too (excluded in the terms and conditions).

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

If you are get this, do you have a choice of your seats, or do they just tell you. There are two of us and we've been offered it Manchester>Abu Dhabi>Kathmandu. The cheapest we can pick on the first leg is £405 each and on the second leg £90 each. We'd be worried about not being near one another.

Anyone help. Also, if you get to the airport, would it be even cheaper than this if they had seats?

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

Hi Rachel

I successfully bid on upgrade from business to first. I was able to pick my seat.

You can e-mail Etihad prior to making your bid and they will be able to tell you if it's possible to get seats together. My guess is yes.

I don't know if buying at the airport works out cheaper.

Alan

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

Got a free upgrade from C to F on the AUH to MUC leg earlier this week. C from what I saw wasnt even full.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

Odds are very much you will be seated together, if not look at it as a bonus:))

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

I have no doubt they want to seated together Froggy.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

Yes we would like to, never done anything other than economy before and were thinking of trying this on the manchester to abu dhabi leg as its an overnight flight and would be nice to sleep and experience comfort in business class just once, we also want to be in tip top condition for our trip to everest base camp! Unfortunatly our finances won't allow us any more parts to be upgraded but I suspect after doing it once we will never want to fly economy again!

liverpool
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Etihad "make us an offer" to upgrade

hi im new to this what kind of offer to upgrade to business class should i offer to ethiad from Manchester to Sydney australia thanks sue