We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying Issue

ny
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying Issue

Hello,

I am staying in New York City this August. I am staying with relatives either for a week or two weeks. They would like me to stay for a week and then determine if I want to stay another week. How could I book a flight down from Rochester NY and still have an affordable flight back? I would need to book a week and then change the return date a day or so before I was supposed to fly home if I decided to stay another week. Normally there are huge fees for this. The other option is to buy a one way ticket and then buy another one way ticket a day or two prior to flying home. This would make the return ticket very expensive.

Any ideas on what I could do?

Thank you!

Shane

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying Issue

Delta and Jet Blue both offer reasonable one way fares Rochester to NYC. I think if you just booked one way and then booked the return one way when you are in NYC it will not be too bad. Otherwise book two return flights now and just ditch one of them. It willprobably cost you $100 more but will be much cheaper than booking a flex ticket.

Jet Blue charge $100 for a ticket date change

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,920 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying Issue

Just re-read my post and it may be confusing to you.

I meant book a return flight with the NYC to ROC swector one week later. Then also book another NYC to ROC one week later to cover both bases. you can then just ditch one of the flights if your plans did change.

looking at the cost of this now on Skyscanner it should not set you back much more than $300 for three sectors.

Daydream Island...
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying Issue

How about Amtrak instead ?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying Issue

Here's how I look at it.

1 hour to the Airport

2 hours early.

1 hour flight. (Gate to Gate)

1 hour from airport to friends or family. (Including claiming bags)

Total 5 hours approximate travel time.

Rochester to NYC is about a 5 hour drive.

Car

AmTrack

Greyhound.

And you avoid the TSA Grope.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,966 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying Issue

There's also Megabus

http://us.megabus.com/Default.aspx

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying Issue

TSA has still been known to grope at Greyhound and AmTrak stations. Rare, but it happens.

Parking could cost more than a plane ticket in NYC.

Try megabus.com. A one way tomorrow is $37 and takes 6:35. I have never used them, but friends have and have been happy. Free on-board wifi I believe too. Since they are privately held and don't use stations, your chance of encountering the TSA is pretty much zero.

7. Re: Flying Issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:42