We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,077 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

I had to file a claim with TSA for items missing from my luggage after they opened one of my bags.

I filled out all their forms, attached every imaginable receipt, etc.

Any idea how long until I can hope to get any kind of response from them, if at all?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

Similar thing happened with me last September.

I would follow up with a phone call to the relevant airport TSA. Their response was swift , they located the items after looking at the cctv and I had the items back to me by DHL within a week.

Not sure if the same applies to your situation but one never knows..

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,658 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

I would be shocked if the TSA ever responded, let alone compensated you financially. They will point fingers at the baggage handlers or airline personnel, which is possibly who is at fault.

What exactly was missing? If it was food or other pastes/gel type substances they may have removed it thinking it was explosive. If electronics or other valuables it was most likely theft.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,077 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

I filed the claim with zero hopes of getting anything from them - I watched as my bag was opened and inspected. Of course, they make you stand far away and have a divider there so you can't really see what they are doing.

What was missing was a large, new, sealed bottle of vitamins - cost about $40 in the US - of course, to replace it overseas will cost at least twice that.

My guess was theft all along, even though it is possible it was human error - but it would be nice (yes, I know I'm dreaming) if they would own up.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

>> My guess was theft all along, even though it is possible it was human error

I find it almost impossible to believe someone would risk jail, or loss of job at a minimum, to steal a bottle of vitamins. I'm thinking human error somewhere along the chain.

But I do hope there's a good ending to the story. Good luck.

Edited: 10 June 2012, 13:35
Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
10,301 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

I wonder about things like jewelry, cash, cameras and other small valuables that could easily be slipped into a pocket going missing, but a large bottle of vitamins? Where would the accused thief hide something like that?

It seems a stretch to get to the conclusion of theft as opposed to just misplacing the item if it was removed from the bag. There could be another passenger out there wondering why some TSA employee slipped them a bottle of vitamins.

With carry on luggage I guess there is a possibility another passenger got into it if it was in an overhead bin on the plane.

I don't know what you meant when you wrote "it would be nice (yes, I know I'm dreaming) if they would own up."

Are you thinking the thief would admit to the crime or TSA would review surveillance cameras, identify the thief and let you know the employee was appropriately punished? I really believe TSA would deal with a theft problem if it was identified.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

Who actually keeps receipts?

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,509 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

Were they perhaps the liquid gel caps type pills?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

<<Who actually keeps receipts?>>

Exactly! 99% don't keep receipts, and that's how TSA gets you. About 5 years ago, they smashed a piece of my test equipment. ($1700.00) My Company ended up replacing it.

Since then, I keep all travel related receipts in an envelope at home.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,454 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

Even if the vitamins were liquid gel--they are allowed in checked luggage!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,273 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Filing a claim with TSA - how much time?

The OP did not say they were in checked luggage.

She said she watched them open her bag which sounds like they were in carry on so IF they were liquid gel they might have been thrown out since they are not prescription meds.