We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta airlines

tamworth,uk
Level Contributor
244 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Delta airlines

hi

i just thought i would write a review for our recent flights with delta ,we have just come back from boston ma and flew out of heathrow on the 767 400 ,i have flown with virgin and ba recently and found to my surprise delta beats them both for service the plane was far better than virgins last year ,cleaner ,better seat back tv's and almost edible food .the staff seemed more friendly and efficent than either ba or virgin .so all in all well done delta i'm impressed and will book with you again

Santa Rosa Beach...
Destination Expert
for Negril
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Delta airlines

Being based in Atlanta and we live in Atl, its a great airline with great service, flying transatlantic in Business elite is even better, we been flying Delta for 30 years and will continue to do so.

Edited: 14 January 2014, 03:51
London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Delta airlines

Yes their services are very good and impressive. No wonder why they probably beat others in terms of flights frequency between US and UK. Virgin and ba have far less number of flights than delta

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Delta airlines

Just flew Delta from Heathrow to Nassau via Atlanta. Will never fly with them again. We checked in for flights to Nassau were assigned 4 seats 2+2 one behind the other for First leg. My husband couldn't check in at home as he has an American work visa and does not require aN ESTA. Seats were assigned at the gate thereafter. Ok if you don't like your family as you won't see them much on the flight. Next flight my husband and I were seated together the kids seated separately elsewhere 5 rows behind. On the return checked in at the airport in Nassau as unable to do so beforehand. No seats assigned, more worrying told seats were requested for the Atlanta heathrow leg. We went straight to the boarding gate and waited for it to open to find kids seated separately 5 and 6 rows behind. Still would not give us seats for the final leg and were quite rude. Got to Atlanta rushed to the other terminal to overhear the gate staff were just giving our seats to 4 people on standby as the flight was full. They tried to persuade us to get the next flight. Still no seats allocated. This was over an hour before take off we had checked in at Nassau. Eventually we were given seats all over the aircraft and told our reservations were not together. I had booked them at the same time came on the same confirmation email and both times when we had checked in the computer had us grouped together when the first person put there details in. To say the staff at the gate were rude is an understatement and did not give a damn. We were told we could sit together if we paid extra. When we boarded it was like musical chairs with passengers asking to swop to sit with there family/friends. thankfully my son asked the man next to him if he was travelling alone and he agreed to swap with our daughter. They were on the opposite side of the plane to us and again 5 rows in front this time. We only had one decent meal on the outbound flight the return was awful. As we had spent all our time trying to get seats we had no opportunity to get food in the airports or look at the shops. My entertainment system didn't work on the last leg either a very long boring trip. The stewardess used phone app to record this and said I would get vouchers, told her not to bother as will never fly delta long haul again.

atlanta
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Delta airlines

Checking in and picking seats are COMPLETELY unrelated on Delta. Not sure why you didn't pick the seats way back when you booked the ticket. The fact that your husband couldn't do online check in would have nothing to do with seat selection, But the fact that you waited until check in to get seats meant you were left with the "random seats"

Yes, Delta has some seats that are for sale and you have to pay for them but on my upcoming flight to Paris there were TONS of open seats to chose from back when I booked. Now, practically none. But I have my seats already.

And this is the new way of air travel. Delta at least still gives you some seat selection for free. Next time be sure to research how seating works before you hit "buy"

(And I expect this is like a lot of "airline employees are rude" AKA "I didn't get what I wanted" )

Edited: 26 February 2014, 01:15
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Delta airlines

And of course the way to get a problem fixed is not to pull the "I AM NEVER FLYING YOU AGAIN" trick. Two problems with that (1) They quit trying to fix it and (2) at some point you run out of airlines.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Delta airlines

SueGibraltar,

CarolLeeAtlanta is 100% correct. You can select your seats at booking, or at any time up until check in by viewing your reservation online at delta.com. Why did you not do this? Even if there weren't four together you could have got two pairs (one parent, one child together), and you could have checked back frequently to see if better seats had become available.

And pity you flamed at the agents when they offered you vouchers (several hundred $ off a future flight) with your "I will never fly Delta again". Because this could (would) have happened on United and American if you had not selected your seats before check in.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 01:24
hilton head, sc
Level Contributor
142 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Delta airlines

I fly Delta from SAV through ATL to Jamaica or Dominican Republic 2 or 3 times a year. Have recently decided to fly FC/BC after deciding our vacations could start earlier and end later with a little more room in the seat and an extra drink or two. Have no complaints about Delta and certainly none about their cabin staff. Have yet to run into a "rude, uncaring" gate staff or check-in staff. Am I lucky? Based on some other poster's comments, I guess I must be.

Only complaint I have about Delta results from pricing FC/BC tix from SAV-SFO thru ATL versus CHS-SFO thru ATL. $700 more to go from SAV.for two travelers. Wife and I will drive the 2 hours to Charleston (vs. 40 minutes to Savannah) to save that money and spend it on food and wine in Napa.

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Delta airlines

I was not able to book the seats before otherwise I would have done. I always try and get 2+ 2 seats when travelling with the family. I will not run out of airlines as none have behaved this way before. I am not a novice traveller and have travelled extensively all over the world . This was the worst I have ever experienced. I have no complaints with the cabin staff, it was the gate staff, it is unacceptable to give our seats away when we are running between gates and still have plenty of time. This was a long haul night flight. I seem to have rattled a few American travellers here.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,375 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Delta airlines

Only complaint I have about Delta results from pricing FC/BC tix from SAV-SFO thru ATL versus CHS-SFO thru ATL. $700 more to go from SAV.for two travelers. Wife and I will drive the 2 hours to Charleston (vs. 40 minutes to Savannah) to save that money and spend it on food and wine in Napa.

Consider it normal. I flew AA First Class last weekend and the transcontinental trip out of my local airport was 4x the price of that from one 90mins away offering non-stop service. The non-stop service offered a better product than the one connecting half way across the country.

All depends on competition and market prices.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 21:49
atlanta
Level Contributor
4,405 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Delta airlines

Sam,

I am sorry but I can't believe you couldn't book seats on line. No one else seems to have this problem.......I expect you may run out of airlines. The rules have changed and you seem to be expecting something that no longer exists, but I somehow doubt you believe that

And the truth is that if everyone coming to these threads swore off every airline with a rant like this against them they would have to step off the planes and never get back on. Just on the first few pages we have "avoid Lufthansa" your rant about Delta and a United rant..... And on it goes.

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:18