We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

We are planning a two part flight with a 1 hour window to transfer from one flight to the next - our luggage will have been checked through and Amsterdam Airport say one hour is sufficient but our travel agent suggests 2 - are we cutting it too fine.

uk
Level Contributor
3,666 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

From where and two where?

AMS has some pretty long walks potentially but I've made similar connections without issue.

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

We are flying from Birmingham (UK) to Amsterdam and then on to Quito. It looks as if it might be OK then? Our flight in in January and so we have considered the possibility of bad weather and decided to fly out one day earlier rather than be late arriving in Quito and missing the first day of our tour.

Newcastle, England...
Level Contributor
320 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

Unless your Birmingham flight is delayed, you'll be fine.

Schipol (Sp?) is one of the best airports in the world for transfers. As an added bonus they do the security at the gate, so you won't have to join the masses like say at Heathrow.

However, if i was you, i'd look at an extra hour just incase your birmingham flight is delayed.

UK
Level Contributor
123 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

Thank you for the info, but unfortunately we don't have the opportunity to allow an extra hour - our only alternative would be to fly out to Amsterdam the night before which we hadn't really wanted to do, but it sounds as if we might be OK.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

An hour will be fine as you only have to go directly to your gate and the security is there so there's no queues.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

Schiphol is all one terminal so does have some long walks if the gates are at opposite ends, saying that they also have very efficient security at schiphol and I have made a connection with 50 minutes between flights.

:-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

It's doable as long as your flight is on time, and that's the big if. Why is your travel agent suggesting 2 hours if it's not an option? This seems a bit stupid.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

In my experience travel agents don't have any knowledge except for what the computer tells them. It will always recommend 2 hours for checking in so that will be the information they dish out.

Nothing to do with actual knowledge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

Well, yes, but least they can do Is check its actually possible...possibly the travel agent is effectively recommending against taking the one hour connection by stating they need two aso to go for the stop over....

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer time at Amsterdam Airport

As far as I can see the Quito flight does not leave until 0955 so you catually have 1hr 35 between flights. Is that the case? More than enough time between flights

06:00 Birmingham

08:20 Amsterdam

09:55 Amsterdam

14:35 Quito