We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book sooner than later for Europe?

Cambridge City...
Level Contributor
24 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Book sooner than later for Europe?

I have been scoping out airfare for awhile now, but I'm still nervous about actually booking it.

We are headed to Europe from the Midwest (Indiana/Ohio) next June 2013. Flying into Venice for a few days, taking a roundtrip cruise, flying from Venice to Paris for a couple of days then back home:

6/11/13 CVG to VCE (layover @ JFK)

6/22/13 VCE to CDG (direct)

6/24/13 CDG to CVG (direct)

Can't book the tickets until at least next month, but I've checked prices for April/May 2013 to get a rough estimate and it's showing around $1288.00.

Do you find that to be a good deal? Would you book a year in advance at that price or wait it out for a better one?

I'm torn because I love the times of these flights and I don't want to risk losing them. But there are several similar flights, so I could chance getting a better price. But will I find one?

Has anyone taken a similar route this year? What did you pay?

Level Contributor
3,535 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

Firstly flight times can and di change, especially when booked this far out. I wouldn't book purely because you like the current times.

Prices can go up and down. The question is, are you happy to pay this price?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

"I've checked prices for April/May 2013 to get a rough estimate and it's showing around $1288.00"

April/May and June are not really comparable when looking at prices. Peak travel time to Europe starts around the middle of May and prices tend to rise significantly. Best option is to just wait until your travel dates are within the booking window and start looking then. When you start looking, be as flexible as possible. Once you find a fare you can live with, book it and don't look back.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,622 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

I have never booked flights for Europe that far in advance!!

1 year ahead is just soooooo far away and so much can change.

It's funny about the price because everything from spring to fall for 2013 seems to be in the $1200 range at the moment. I have been checking flights myself for either spring or fall. Usually prices in summer are much higher!

I know this year I've seen prices up to $1600 round trip so $1200 seems low in comparison. For me I'd not buy until probably late Nov. of this year but if you like the price and the times and can afford it go ahead. I always take some trip insurance because it is usually less expensive than the airline change fees.

1060 W Addison...
Level Contributor
10,156 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

$1,288 for the times you like going to VCE? I'd take that if it fit my budget. Pretty easy decision for me. Could it go down $100/200 if you wait, check every day, etc? Sure. But (just a guess..all anyone can do) I'd say it's more likely to go up.

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, June will probably be more expensive than April.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,306 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

I tend to book pretty early myself when I need to save $$$$, and June is not exactly a bargain month! You should know this - by flying out of CVG, you are restricting yourself to US carriers - certainly not the best when going to Europe. My suggestion is that you travel starting the trip from Chicago so you could fly on much better European carriers for about the same price (Swiss, Lufthansa or Air France would be considerably more comfortable).

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

I have been through similar experience last year, was travelling from midwest to CDG and return from FCO to midwest for March 2011, I purchased my ticket in Nov 2010 for $754 +$32 insurance +$200 from CDG to VCE =$986. Also Delta change their flight time few times, nothing major to impact my plans, and in Dec 2010 Alitalia completely cancel my return flight, but expedia was able to change my flight to next day from FCO to ORD and also my United flight from ORD to midwest.

International tickets tend to go down slightly by the end of Sep, every week or few weeks you will see one set of connections than they will change and new set of flight will show for your search in Expedia with slight change in price and than old choice will come back for me after a week or so , but as you go close to your departure date flights with good options will be sold out. You have ample time to make your decision. I am not telling you to wait till Nov, but do whatever you feel is right for you.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 05:59
7. Re: Book sooner than later for Europe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 14:17