We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suitcase sizes Ryanair

Bristol, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
Suitcase sizes Ryanair

Hi,

I have already booked my flight as bringing just a cabin baggage up to 10 kg. According to the Ryanair's website the size of the cabin luggage is 55x40x20. I have got a luggage like this with a high of 58cm, the other details are the same.

My question is, are they going to accept that size (just 3cm difference) or may I buy one which is acceptable?

Thanks

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

From their website:

Strictly one item of cabin baggage per passenger (excluding infants) weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm is permitted. (handbag, briefcase, laptop, shop purchases, camera etc.) must be carried in your 1 permitted piece of cabin baggage.

That's pretty clear to me.

If you choose to disregard the rules you may be able to get away with it BUT chances are you probably won't.

I certainly would buy or borrow luggage that meets their requirements as Ryanair have a reputation for expecting their customers to follow their rules and heavily penalising those who don't.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

The answer is "no" , RyanAir is a stickler regarding their T+Cs and their last minute fees are massive. They generate quite a lot of their revenues from these fees so unless you're incredibly lucky they're not going to give you a free pass.

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

It is not "just" 3cm, it is 3cm oversize. If you do take the risk I hope you, and everybody else with oversize bags, get forced to pay to check your luggage into the hold. Ryanair are sometimes very bad at letting people on with oversize luggage, thus taking away space for people who have read the rules and abide by them.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,629 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

To paraphrse the old saying, you give an inch and they will take a mile happily charging you for your oversised luggage.

Bristol, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

Thanks guys, that is my first flight anyway, so I don't have any experience how strict they are, but now I know I shouldn't take that risk.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

As said before, you take your chances with this one, but I would say the likelihood of being penalised for being 3cm over limit is almost non existent. I made sure I bought a very good carry-on bag that fits the Ryanair dimensions. Since getting it I've noticed, whenever boarding a Ryanair flight, I'm one of the few people getting on board with carry-on luggage that has actually obeyed the rules. Everyone else seems to get away with bringing carry-on luggage on board except those who blatantly flaunt the rules ...and in my opinion 3cm extra doesn't really fall in this category.

London, United...
Level Contributor
867 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

Presumably the height and width (55 and 40) weren't just plucked out of thin air. Wouldn't they be determined by the height and depth of overhead lockers? So if you turn up with a case 58 cm high, you won't be able to slide it into a locker endways, it'll have to go in sideways. And if it were 43cm wide as well, it'd have to go in sideways and flat.

How nice for all the other passengers.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,499 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

< Presumably the height and width (55 and 40) weren't just plucked out of thin air. Wouldn't they be determined by the height and depth of overhead lockers? >

Nope, as it would mean Ryanair having to have overhead lockers designed specifically for them. A more likely reason is that "fines" are a major source of income for Ryanair so choosing something that is smaller than standard brings in a lot of income from people who bought "cabin" luggage

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

Angrylips, dangerous, for the OP anyway, to advise like that. He is suggesting taking a bag that is oversize, if he gets caught breaking the t&c's, he will have to pay to check the bag in.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Suitcase sizes Ryanair

I have a bag that is exactly 55cm, but smaller in the other dimensions, which always use on Ryanair.

It will depend on the airport, but I have always been grabbed to have it measured. The staff can spot something that is near the limit and will pounce. This has happened to me in the last two months in Stansted, Pisa, East Midlands, Alghero, Luton and Brno. If I had been 3cm over, the results would be predictable.

Don't chance it.

Edited: 19 June 2012, 11:15