We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Up grade

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Up grade

Maybe a silly question, but dose anyone know how to be upgraded and what do travellers think of Emirates. Thanking so much.

Kathleen M.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Up grade

Yes.1/ pay for it.2/ have status with the airline in case economy is oversold and they need to operationally upgrade someone.3/ use miles.

Very little chance other than as above.

Emirates has a very reasonable product.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15,000 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Up grade

I assume you mean upgraded for free? If not, simply call and ask to pay for an upgrade.

uk
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Up grade

Best way to be upgraded, pay for it.

Honestly, free upgrades for passengers that are not frequent fliers of an airline a very rare these days.

Emirates get mixed reviews. They are also generally considered as not as good as they were, in EC.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 09:54
4. Re: Up grade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 20 June 2012, 10:25
London
Level Contributor
8,865 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Up grade

I travel to India with Emirates via Dubai. Twice have had e mail offering upgrade on the Dubai to India leg for around £90. Have taken the offer on both occasions but not been offered on the London to Dubai leg. I think Emirates is probably as good as it can be in economy class.

uk
Level Contributor
3,806 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Up grade

Hans - think you're confusing Newcastle Uk, with Newcastle, Australia where the OP is from.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,057 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Up grade

< Definitely not worth spending money or miles for an upgrade. >

My GF used to fly Newcastle to Mumbai on Emirates, she said the upgrade was well worth it, certainly more worth it than for the leg to Mumbai which is quite short in comparison

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Up grade

Thankyou for the reply back. We are flying to Thailand. I was just wondering because when we went to China a few years back China Air just gave us a upgrade. Maybe it was my smile. LOL

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,352 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Up grade

Methinks the OP is starting from Newcastle in NSW, Oz - so her start point would by SYD, not NCL, logically! She doesn't say where she's going, however. Of course, all the comments above, apart from routes, still apply.

SWT

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Up grade

I use my airpoints on Emirates for the upgrade...the times I haven't they have upgraded me for free - or sent me an "offer" to pay a small amount to upgrade. Helps that I'm gold with them. that said - the first time I ever flew with them (Auckland - Melbourne) they upgraded me for free - something Air NZ had never done, despite being a member, and flying with them frequently. Suffice to say in the last 6 years, I've only ever flown Emirates when travelling overseas.