We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

just as we feared, it looks like our sunwing flight tomorrow afternoon (toronto-cancun) will be delayed by at LEAST 4 hours if not more... today's flight for 5:20 hasn't even left yet and the return flight isn't expected back until 5:30am tomorrow.... from what i understand sunwing basically operates one plane that goes between toronto and cancun so one being delayed means the subsequent flights are messed up for at least 3 days. it seems to happen near the weekends as we've been monitoring them the past 2 weeks and this happened before.... in hindsight i guess we should have spent the extra $$$ on the westjet package but everyone we know has had sunwing flights on time. any experiences (good or bad) with sunwing or suggestions?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,971 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

If you put Sunwing in tot he forum search box there's 10's of pages of experiences with Sunwing, Most of them bad pointing to substancial delays and poor customer service.

Don't know what you want people to suggest as you have booked and paid for the flight ant it leaves (you hope) shortly. Pray perhaps?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

all the info i read on the forums is a bit outdated. i was hoping for some experiences people have had recently.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
22,349 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

On your route Sunwing only have a 50% on time record according to FlightStats over the past month.

On the plus side, the cancellation/divert record is good! ;-)

flightstats.com/go/…

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

checked into things a little further and it looks like it's a pearson-wide issue. not just sunwing experiencing delays. i can deal with a little delay, so long as it's not over 3 hours... we'd be losing a night at our resort basically, one that's been paid for and it's not like sunwing would reimburse...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,392 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

Having experienced Sunwing and their , ahem, lack of on time service, I will not use them again.

Not a lot of fun sitting at Pearson for an extra 6 hours to start your vacation. Frankly, I avoid all these low cost charter types in Canada. I would always pay a little more for AC or Westjet. At least they have more than a few planes in their fleet should something go amiss.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

Unfortunately I had already booked with Sunwing when I saw your post.

I had used Sunwing in the past with mixed results.

Recent trip last week to Paris, France confirmed that I will NEVER book with them again. A great deal isn't such a great deal when you are delayed and stranded at an airport.

18 hours delay at YYZ and then 3 hrs delay in Orly, France. No communication on delays, meal vouchers for dinner @ $20 per person and overnight at Sheraton - local restaurant menu way overpriced and starters alone averaged about $12 per item - $40 for two people cost me an additional $30. No breakfast voucher. Disappointing - never will I make the mistake of wasting vacation days.

Flight landed at CDG airport and not Orly, an additional e62.50 expense that we were told were vouchers for but no Sunwing rep anywhere.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
450 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

Pearson issues are one thing - the lack of communication and status updates is another - at one point we were told the plane was being cleaned - we had been watching the only entrance/exit and nobody had gone by us. later we were told the pilots were at head office nearby - 90 minutes later they hadn't arrived - I fly out of Pearson almost every week with Westjet and once a month with Air Canada (business) and at the most, delays were 20-30 minutes 3-4 times per year - with Sunwing (vacation) 4 trips and 3 have been delayed anywhere from 2 hours to 18 hours.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
843 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

We took Sunwing with a package tour Toronto-Veradero,Cuna in Sept, 2011 and had no problems. The service was excellent and the package deal worked out fine. But you can have problems with any airline.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

I just flew with them to Paris and both times plane was right on time - even 30 min earlier coming back to Toronto. This was my 3rd time flying with Sunwing and I have never experienced a delay. I know they get a lot of bad press but I will fly again with them.

10. Re: sunwing airline flying out of toronto YYZ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 December 2012, 12:35