We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

London, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

Hi!

My friends and I are travelling to Palma, Majorca on 5th July through Thomson and are flying from Stansted. The issue is there is a spelling mistake on the e-Ticket for 1 passenger, and Thomson are trying to charge us various prices to amend this (between £35-£70). We paid £95 to get the name changed to an entirely different person. They made a mistake in this initial name change and are claiming they have no notes to confirm that A we have even paid the full admin fee, saying only the initial £35 deposit take over the phone was received (whilst the extra £60 was added to the total cost of our holiday) and B that we have ever called regarding any amendments (which we have on numerous occasions!!). The issue is two passengers have the same surname with 1 letter difference, and the call centre have presumed they are related and therefore used the same surname for both (despite it being spelt out clearly over the phone).

The only thing that I can confirmis that their surnames for the API information for both passengers is correct. I would like advice on what you lot think we should do, and how the e-Tickets work. Will they be checked thoroughly by staff at Stansted, or will we be able to get away with this minor spelling error which is not even our fault!!

We booked online, however we shall be going to a Thomson shop tomorrow anyway to try to clear this up. If unsuccessful, what would you advise we do??

Many thanks in advance

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

Tickets and passports are only checked at the gate and normally briefly as there are 300 boarding, so the chance is you would be fine................but.....if they do notice then you wouldn't be to fly, so you take that risk, I think if you can argue your case and get it for £ 35.00 it would be money well spent on piece of mind.

:-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
741 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

I wouldnt expect much help from a Thomson shop if you have booked your holiday on line, last year i had a problem with my on line booking and decided to nip into my local shop to see if they could help and was basically told that you waiver the right of an actual travel agent by booking online hence the fact that it is cheaper than booking in a shop, there is a call centre to help with online bookings its takes a while to get through but be patient and they should be able to help you, if i could give you some advice take the name of the person you speak with , they tried to do similar to me as they have done to you i.e no recolection of me phoning etc.

Good luck hope that you get sorted out.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Albufeira
Level Contributor
7,872 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

Passports are checked when you check in for flight against your e ticket booking refererence. They could pull it there and then, hopefully they don't and good luck. If you have checked in online previously you may get away with it.

I know you are saying its an error on Thomsons part and its the principle but for piece of mind I would change it then you don't lose your holiday. End of day its one persons fight against a big company who deals with millions of travellers who really don't give a toss once they have got your money & its their word against yours.

BTw if thomsons are saying when you changed name & paid £95 for it & they have no recollection of it, surely you paid by credit/debit card your proof is there on your card statement.

Edited: 23 June 2012, 00:25
Kharkiv, Ukraine
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

i booked an eticket online from ukraine t o india and there is a spelling mistake in my surname ... can you please tell me while check in there will be problem or not...because the airline said that... we cant change the surname... as you have booked the ticket.. please tell me t=while check in there will be a problem or not????

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,274 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

You'd be better starting your own thread about it, rather than dragging up an old one about a completely different airline. Unfortunately no one on here can give you a definitive answer.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,190 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

In reply to post #4, I doubt you are flying Thomson on this route so not sure why you have dragged this post up. Secondly, if you booked it online then surely it was you who typed in the surname incorrectly?

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

You will be charged for a reissue @ airport. I've had spelling mistakes, been narried off and even changed sex!

8. Re: Thomson E ticket Spelling Mistake!! HELP!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 06:18