We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siting together with children

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Siting together with children

We re flying to Cyprus in 2 weeks for my sisters wedding. We requested pre booked seats when we booke the holiday and were told that it was included, we now have our tickets and there is no pre booked seats for us. We have ow been asked to pay a further £50 to ensure that we can sit together with our 4 year old and one year old.

What are te chances of them splitting us up, of we leave it chance? We are flying with Thomas cook, but booked through Thomson at the holiday hypermarket.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,481 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Siting together with children

Seat allocations on any airline are considered requests but the only way to request specific seats with Thomas Cook is to pay for them - see link.

book.flythomascook.com/checklist/seats/

You could take a risk and see what seats are allocated when you check in - I would think it unlikely they would seperate a 4 yr and 1 yr old from their parents but you never know.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Siting together with children

What could well happen is that one child might be allocated a seat with one parent and the other with the other parent in a different part of the plane. But they would never allow children of that age to be without a parent next to them.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,161 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Siting together with children

Wouldn't a 1yr old be in your lap anyhow rather than in a separate seat?

I can't see any airline allowing 1 & 4 yr olds to be in a different section of the plane from their parents - if nothing else the passengers in the same row would be a tadge upset at becoming unpaid childcare

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siting together with children

We are so annoyed with it all, we asked for it, were told it would cost more and said it was worth paying it because as the baby is on our lap we wanted the freedom to take it in turns with holding her as it would be a long 4 and a half hours keeping her still. The price we were originally told increased wen we paid the deposit 10 minutes later without us leaving the shop so assumed that we had paid for it. I am sure we are being charged twice but they are saying we weren't.

What I think happened is because Other family members booked as well, they added it to the wrong booking because 2 that didn't pay for it now have it!

If it wasn't my sisters wedding we wouldn't have booked it that day because the girl was clueless! We gave the name of the hotel we wanted in ayala napa and she tried to book us in a sister hotel in the heart of all the action, it was only that I glanced at the screen and realised she was adding us to the wrong hotel!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siting together with children

Did your confirmation show that you had paid for choose your seat, or state that it was included? If not, I doubt there's anything you can do about it now as it wasn't queried earlier. If it's a Thomas Cook flight only or package, the seat charge should be £45, not £50.

The only way to ensure you are sat together is to pay. As the one year old will be on a lap (presumably) you might find that the adults are split. They will try to sit your 4 year old with one of you, but it has been known for young children to be sat on their own, but usually only separated by an aisle or on a different row.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siting together with children

If there are two family members that have it, but didn't pay for it, can't you just have them select the seats, and then switch with them, once you are on the plane?

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siting together with children

The other family members fly out 4 days after us.

I am annoyed at myself for not double checking everything because the agent was dippy! I checke tickets as well and the baby's extra baggage hasn't been added. Went down with confirmation showing we had it and they are rectifying it- will never ever book through holiday hypermarket again!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,055 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Siting together with children

Thomas Cook don't show the infants 10kg on their tickets as it is automatically allocated to all under 2's on Thomas Cook Airlines (unless they have their own seat booked). If its a Thomson holiday they may. Either way the agent doesn't add this, it's automatic.

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Siting together with children

That's what they said, luckily have received email from hotel confirming that although tickets say junior suite we are having a family suite/bungalow. Really has been catastrophe, pleased about the luggage though. It just felt that for a package holiday we have had to chase them for a lot. We paid an extra £400 to ensure we had family suite do that the children had proper beds, the junior suites only have a sofa bed for the children.

We were advised had we not notice this on the tickets we could have ended up stuck because when they rang to confirm our room- they had last one!

Thanks to everyone for the flight info :)

Hants, UK
Level Contributor
2,866 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Siting together with children

Did you pay for the seats? If you did, take all your paperwork and go back to the shop, if a person is new to the shop/job they should be overseen by someone who knows what they should be doing. If they made a mistake they should put it right, if they told you you had it, you should have it.