We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passenger allowed on wrong flight

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
448 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Passenger allowed on wrong flight

Oh Dear

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18624228

Ages ago, I was in a situation when such a mix-up could happen. Two groups of passengers were to walk from their respective gates to the planes at the same time. Then there were non-stop announcements on the plane that it flies to A and not to B, and all boarding passes were double- and triple-checked. All passengers seem to have got it right, on my plane at least.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

It is *always* the airline's responsibility to ensure that a passenger does not get on the wrong flight. What if the passenger had nefarious motives and was deliberately trying to board the wrong flight?

That said, good for Ryanair for sending him back and then onward, and putting him up for the night, although a cynic might wonder if they hoped that by doing so he wouldn't go public.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

From the article: "Professional surfer Toby Donachie, 19, was supposed to be flying to the south of France, but ended up in Sweden.

He said it raised security issues as his boarding pass was checked twice."

Why would it be a security issue? Regardless of the plane he got on he should have been properly screened. Immigration issue, possibly, but the flight was not unsafe because the wrong person got on board.

I'm not sure what boarding pass scanners check these days, but at times the gate agent just punches in the seat number into the computer, especially if the barcode can't be read. A gate agent is not reading every destination, name, seat number, etc.

Just a fluke where a boarding pass scan, human check, FA headcount, and nobody trying to sit in his lap with the same seat aligned to create an inconvenience, not a safety issue.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

This does happen because our plane was delayed in Frankfurt because the plane coming funnily enough from Sweden had a passenger on the plane that was'nt bound for Frankfurt, they noticed before the plane left probably because of the head count but he did get past the boarding pass checks.

4. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 11:20
Edited: 01 July 2012, 11:20
5. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 11:20
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

But if he had been a suicide bomber his original flight would have been just as unsafe. If he had been a non-suicide bomber, he would not be likely to try to get on the wrong flight as he would expect his bags to be pulled and would be much more likely to draw attention to himself.

Every little mix-up that happens at an airport is not a security threat. Of course airports everywhere will probably have to spend millions to add additional checks, rescan boarding passes, triple headcounts, etc. as a knee-jerk reaction to something that is not an issue.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

"Oh, and Ryanair don't assign seats."

Forgot about that - has been 10 years since I few Ryanair.

So I guess the solution is to completely change Ryanair's business model. Make them assign seats so that this would be more likely to be detected. Make them redesign the airport with gates where you can't walk to the wrong bus. Slow down turns by re-verifying every boarding pass (with a scan) after the door is closed but before the plane moves. I'm sure nobody will mind the increased fares, since it is making things safer.

8. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 11:21
Edited: 01 July 2012, 11:21
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

Where do you see that they did not pull his bags off of his correct flight, or that he even had checked bags in the first place? It is not mentioned in the article.

Bags fly without the passenger on the same plane every day. It may be difficult for the passenger to coordinate, but it can and does happen based on delays, re-routes, late check-in, etc. In these days of shoe/underwear/suicide bombers, security staff being bribed to get drugs (are you sure it is drugs and not a bomb?) on a plane, etc. it is an incredibly tiny mix-up even if he did have checked bags that didn't get pulled.

I never said I am for no security. I am for ending the paranoia of a terrorist hiding around every corner.

Edited: 28 June 2012, 15:30
10. Re: Passenger allowed on wrong flight

Removed on: 01 July 2012, 11:21