We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with wedding dress

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with wedding dress

Does anyone have experiences taking a wedding dress on a long haul flight with the following operators?

- Emirates

- Etihad

- British Airways

- SA Airways

Thanks

73 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with wedding dress

The main issue you will have is that you cannot absolutely *guarantee* that irrespective of any verbal or even written assurances, that security or gate check staff will accept your dress which on the face of it is likely to be above hand luggage maximum dimensions, *and* will hang it up *or* that there will be somewhere it can go where it wont have something on top of it or it may get creased as other items are crammed into the cupboard its notionally hanging up in,. And if lets say checkin or security flatly refuses to take it, then you are in a situation with it in a dress carrier with minimal protection should it end up in an aircraft hold.

When I had to transport a wedding dress long haul last year (though AFAICS it makes no difference if its long or short haul) we used a carry on sized suitcase that we knew just fitted the size restrictions, and then had the wedding dress company professionally pack the dress so as to minimise creasing. This is something they do frequently and are experts at. As it happened we did then get it steam pressed at the destination though it would have been OK had we been somewhere that wasn't possible,.

This meant that we knew we could take it as carry on so it would be with us at all times, plus in the event of some (very unlikely) issue which mean it had to go into the hold, it was in a hard bodied suitcase. Plus when on board, there would be no issues with it being in a cupboard out of our sight where anything could happen.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with wedding dress

Excellent advice from joeintheuk and I would follow just what he suggests.

Just to add to that, I have a friend who works for one of those airlines and she says on some flights they can have as many as 6 wedding dresses. Each bride wants their dress to be treated with kid gloves but there just isn't the room on board to do this. And sometimes they do just have to be shoved into wardrobes. The crew do not have the time to sort it all out before takeoff, they have other duties to do.

If you are travelling to a popular wedding destination there are likely to be other brides on board. Take responsibility yourself and that way it should be stress free.

Good luck and hope everything goes well.

North east england
Level Contributor
752 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with wedding dress

Ive recently returned from USA and carried my wedding dress (the same as above poster) in my hand-luggage.

The shop I bought my dress from packed it very carefully and professionally in the case for me.

I travelled on BA, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin america and United airlines (we did a multi-city trip) and got married in Vegas. Had no problems with any of the airlines.

I recommend you carry it in your hand luggage also, at least that way your dress never leaves your sight!!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with wedding dress

I recommend you carry it in your hand luggage also, at least that way your dress never leaves your sight!!

====

Yep .. the following just occurred to me - 5 or 6 dresses hanging up crammed in one cupboard. Maybe a label falls off, maybe the dress carriers are very similar, maybe someone is very careless. Only takes one bride-to-be or cabin crew to pick / give the wrong one and hey presto thats two weddings ruined. Even if *you* know which one yours is for sure, maybe ditzy-bride or "one wedding dress looks like another" wrong-bridegroom picks yours up and heads off out of the airport with it whilst you are still waiting in the aisle to get to teh cupboard.

Edited: 03 July 2012, 16:41
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with wedding dress

I got married abroad, my wedding dress went in the hold in its own case, and all was fine. I understand the risk with lost luggage, but in this instance It was fine.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with wedding dress

Oh and it was British airways.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
776 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with wedding dress

My sister bought a special box of ebay to transport her wedding dress when getting married in the states, obviously it complied with the weight and dimensions required for hand luggage.

The box was personalised too which looked really nice.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with wedding dress

I had to transport a long black hooded velvet cape that was featured in UK TV advertisements for a specific company.It had its own clear plastic cover but the BA flight attendant hung it in a wardrobe adjacent to the galley.Worked well and better than I feared.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,780 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with wedding dress

Hi,

I agree with Joe.. These kind of things are fraught with "what if" and "so long as...." caveats.

I'll also share a rather recent personal experience.. I worked a flight from the US back to Asia and on board happened to be three groups and three brides-to-be with their dresses..

and while we tried to accommodate them all, we could only find room for two..

Now take a guess what transpired next?

Yup.. a quasi verbal shouting match between all three groups over whose dresses 'deserved' to be stored in the cabin and whose should go in the cargo compartment..

and I heard every permutation of reasoning-- first marriage, long distance, age, religious constraints, value of dress, ticket price, FFP status.. etc.. etc..

After realizing that resolving Middle East peace would be quicker than this, and consulting with ground staff, the decision was made that since everyone was fixated on fairness and recognizing that we have no formal policy for cabin storage (i.e. it's discretionary) we took them all and put them into the hold.

... and of course the hostilities continued across the Pacific with each party blaming the other for causing us to put them all into the hold.

Travel Safe,

jack.
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with wedding dress

Lucky they didn't get kicked off the flight, wasn't it?

(Lucky for them, I mean, not for the rest of the passengers.)

Edited: 03 July 2012, 23:43
Reply to: Flying with wedding dress
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted