We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

The folks on this forum often rave about BA's quality of service. We had a chance to test it out for ourselves on our June trip to the UK.

Even before our plane landed, I was faced with a choice: Panic? Or "Keep calm and carry on" in true British fashion. We departed the US on a morning flight out of Boston. We were connecting through LHR to Newcastle, and BA had given us a tight connection--only 80 minutes to get through immigration and find our connecting flight. Our flight to Newcastle was the last one of the day.

And our landing at LHR was delayed. As our plane made its fifth (or was it the sixth?) circle over the home counties, I tried to figure out what to do. With now only 50 minutes to make our connecting flight, all I could think of was to look for someone in a BA uniform as soon as we got off the plane, and ask for help. "We will see," I thought, "how good the vaunted BA service actually is."

It's very good.

As we exited the jetway, I spotted a tall, friendly British fellow in a purple "One World" vest holding a sign that said "Newcastle;  BA #1344"

"That's our flight!" I said.

He replied, "There are three of you, right? We only have 45 minutes, but I think we can make it."

Our guardian angel (whose name was Chris) proceeded to whisk us through Terminal 5 to a priority immigration line with a border control agent who was waiting just for us. On to a lineless security check, and then through the maze to our departing gate. We did not need to figure out where to go. Chris led; we followed.

We made it with 10 minutes to spare. Even two of our suitcases, which had been checked through from Boston to Newcastle, made it. The third one followed us the next day.

BA has made a friend in me!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,372 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

BA does a good job when there are delays happening. Last year, we were going JFK - LHR - LYS. Due to a delay from JFK, we know we will be missing our booked LHR - LYS flight. Upon disembarking, an LHR agent greeted us (and many others with connections) and gave us hotel day room and meal vouchers, Hoppa bus tickets, along with our boarding passes for our re-booked flight.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

This has been mentioned once today already. But I shall repeat, people are quick to bash people on here, so if you feel they did a good job they have a page where you can comment.

The staff get praised and try and work harder for more praise in turn we all get better service so maybe drop them an e mail.....

britishairways.com/travel/…

:-)

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

Well done to British Airways. I find both BA and AA to be excellent in handing situations like this. Particularly with having passengers met at the boarding gate and being whisked through the queues.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,582 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

That's excellent service, and thanks for the information. Have bookmarked this for when we get (frequent) questions about short connection times at T5.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

That's brilliant. The way it should happen.

Am disturbed he was wearing a vest but but just call me old-fashioned

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,408 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

Yes good service from B.A which is by far the best U,K airline years ago British Midland was also good and Air U.k just to mention a few no doubt others can also remember good airlines.

TLV
Level Contributor
47 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

Same thing was happened with me as well (but with LH - Lufthansa flight)

The route was TLV - FRA - IAH - MTR (from Tel Aviv to Monterrey, Mexico via Frankfurt and Houston)

The connection time was from 70 min in FRA to 135 min in IAH.

The flight from TLV was delayed in 25 min + 2 waiting circles before FRA approach, in total I've landed in FRA 25 min before the next flight

When I stepped out from the plane I saw some LH girl with a big sign where name of me and my partner was written on + the IAH flight#.

She took us all the way long to IAH gate (other side of the airport). to journey included many escalators / lifts / stairs and 1 bus trip of almost 7 min.

eventually we arrived to the get 5 min after the departure time, of course the plane was waiting for us, quick security check and toilet (we asked for toilet very badly before we are getting boarded once again, and LH ground crew agreed with no any objection (the plane was waiting just for us !!))

When we stepped in, the pilot has announced "our late passengers just arrived from TLV and we are happy to have them on board to IAH" (was a bit embarrassing while the entire 7474 cabin is watching on you :))

Thank you Lufthansa for not forgetting us :) !

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

I had a similar experience flying JFK-LHR-AMS. They didn't go with me but they did give us a priority card on exiting the plane so we could skip the lines and make the connection.

My bag did not make it, but it was put on the next flight (1,5hour later) and they gave me a food voucher because I decided to wait for it instead of having it send to my home address the next day.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

Similar story with BA . Travelling JFK - MAN - DUB about 15 years ago, the flight from JFK was 2 hours late in departing leaving a very small connection time for the Dublin flight (next flight to Dublin was 4 hours later).

There were 5 people with the same connection and after first class had deplaned, our names were called, we were whisked through Manchester Airport , showed our passports and boarded the Aer Lingus Dublin flight which waited 10 minutes for us.

Bags didn't make it but were put on the flight 4 hours later and delivered to my door. Thank goodness it was all on the one ticket.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How BA handled our delayed flight/tight connection

Nice to hear positive experiences and we usually only hear about bad service.