We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight costs to London

Marion, Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flight costs to London

Any thoughts if flight prices will drop for a trip in April 2013. They are running over $900 and last spring they were $800. Is it to soon to book? Or should I wait?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,884 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight costs to London

Which airline and where from?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,228 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight costs to London

That would seem to be a pretty sensational fare from the USA. Sites like kayak.com can help you on fare trending. And it would help to know your departure point.I'm going in August for $1,399.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,716 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight costs to London

I wouldn't buy now for April 2013!!

It is way to soon as there will be all sorts of changes before then!

Anything under $1,000 is a good price. As you say it was $800 or so last year and is in the $800s now from the east coast for September.

I'd watch prices and in the late fall(Oct./Nov) you may see some better prices for the spring BUT there is no guarantee!!

Summer prices are always ridiculously high!!

Marion, Michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight costs to London

Traveling from Grand Rapids, MI in early April. We went last November and got tickets for $750. I guess I was spoiled.

5. Re: Flight costs to London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 July 2012, 18:10
Edited: 09 July 2012, 18:10
Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight costs to London

I've never paid that much for a flight from Canada to London. For an April trip, based on my past purchasing patterns, my guess is that I'd probably be buying my ticket sometime in the new year.

I too would wait and monitor fares. When you see a price you like, but it.

ktown

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight costs to London

I've never paid that much for a flight from Canada to London

Which bears basically no resemblance to what someone might pay from Grand Rapids. Every market has their own pricing structure and you can't really compare fares from any two airports in a similar way, in fact historical prices are largely unhelpful too.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight costs to London

OP2002 - I disagree. As a rule flight prices are often less expensive from the U.S. That is why so many Canadians travel to airports in U.S. border cities.

Historical prices are no guarantee, but I also disagree that historical prices are 'largely unhelpful too'. If someone is aware of the historical prices for a flight, it can (not will) prove helpful in trying to guess what prices might do. It is however a guess, and cannot of course be relied upon.

ktown

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,245 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight costs to London

My point is that every market has their own nuances based on seasonality, airlines competing, proportion of business travellers etc. so to say someone had paid X amount from airport Y isn't helpful IMO and shouldn't be a guide as to what someone else should be aiming to pay.

There are some routes I fly 6-7 times per year and have done for several years around the same time. The cheapest I've found was in 2009, which was about 1/3 of what I paid for 2011 travel. As airlines withdraw from certain markets or consolidate their operations either reducing or expanding flights, or any one of dozens of factors affect the price of tickets change as will those underlying prices.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight costs to London

"As a rule flight prices are often less expensive from the U.S. That is why so many Canadians travel to airports in U.S. border cities. "

For travel to/from the US and to some international destinations, but usually not much cheaper, if any, to the UK. Driving to Canada (WIndsor) *might* get you a different price, but it is unlikely to be cheaper than DTW or ORD to LHR.

If you live in Montreal, it is cheaper and less painful, to go to BTV-ORD-SEA, than it is to go YUL-YVR. You just have to make the decision if it is worth the hassle.