We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
305 reviews
Save Topic
Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

This list was published about an hour ago by Skytrax.

The top 10 airlines for 2012

1 Qatar Airways

2 Asiana Airlines

3 Singapore Airlines

4 Cathay Pacific

5 A N A

6 Etihad Airways

7 Turkish Airlines

8 Emirates

9 Thai Airways

10 Malaysia Airlines

The top 10 airlines for 2011 were:

1 Qatar Airways

2 Singapore Airlines

3 Asiana Airlines

4 Cathay Pacific Airways

5 Thai Airways

6 Etihad Airways

7 Air New Zealand

8 Qantas Airways

9 Turkish Airlines

10 Emirates

What does everyone think? Is there someone missing? Should Emirates be higher? Can Asiana knock Qatar off the number one spot next year?

Regards

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

ANA certainly scooted their way in

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

Here's the website listing all the category winners.

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/

>> Can Asiana knock Qatar off the number one spot next year? <<

Well, Asiana was #1 in 2010, so it was actually Qatar that knocked OZ off originally. Interestingly, this year's top 4 (QR, OZ, SG and CX) have held the top 4 positions for four consecutive years, indicating that they're perhaps very closely matched and a cut above the others.

Other interesting winners were Malaysia winning Best Cabin Staff, British Airways winning Best Transatlantic Carrier, and Virgin America taking Best North American Airline (Domestic), with jetBlue slipping to 5th.

PS - re >> ANA certainly scooted their way in <<. .... Or "Singapore Scooted down a little"!

Edited: 13 July 2012, 04:26
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

"Singapore Scooted down a little"!

Ha Ha ...Pun intended

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,796 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

Interesting, if not surprising, that 9 out of the top 10 are either Asian or Middle Eastern carriers.

On another thread the debate continues about Qantas' chances of survival. The answer may well be right here.

Every one of the top 10 compete with QF for passengers out of Australia.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,457 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

Hi,

I also look at this list-- and the geographic areas these carrier represent and note that they really are the only major regions that are foreseen to have origin growth... and as such, carrier willing to invest new dollars into sizable capital investments.

I also think that this list shows it's not enough to BE good, you've got to be continually pushing your business forward-- be that involvements in new fleet, ground services, alliances, etc..

I think this is a big part of Thai's drop. I think they're paying the price today for their lack of addressing fleet quality back in the early to mid 2000's and in that same time, other carriers DID make that investment and are now reaping the rewards of that.

It will be interesting to see how this same list shapes up in 2013 and even 2014 as many of these carriers will take delivery of new aircraft ans what impact that has on the voting.. I'd wonder where will carriers like JL, NH, MH and TG who will all take delivery of sizable number of aircraft.

... and I think the long-shot out there really is the LCC's... Say what you will about them, but I think in Asia, being the largest growth market and also condensed into a relatively small geographic footprint, lends itself favorable to LCC growth..

and while the LCC market is still relatively new, I think that in a few years, several of these carrier will become serious players in terms of passengers moved-- and while you can't really judge them against full-fare carriers, I do think they'll have an impact on how these full-fare carriers do business..

I'd point to SQ's futher embracing of the LCC concept in Scoot as well as their mid-budget Silk Air.. as well as All Nippon's buy into AirAsia Japan and Peach..

The other part I keep an eye on-- as they're not on the current "Top 10" radar, is the (mainland) PRC carriers like Air China, China Eastern or China Southern.. While today, 2012, they're not a top-10, but with continued learning and capital investment in their fleet and ground operations, I can see them as being real, legitimate players for a spot in that top-10 list in the not distant future...

As for this list, I'm pleased to see NH and MH break into the top 10 as I see this as validation of the fact that today's MH is a new carrier and that they've made real forward progress.... and that NH is no longer seen as just the "other" Japanese carrier..

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

>> Every one of the top 10 compete with QF for passengers out of Australia.<<

Eva,

That may be true, but I think you'll find a lot of passengers deserting western European carriers for most of them too; especially the Middle Eastern carriers who are happily syphoning passengers off the likes of BA, LH et al from secondary (non-hub) European airports.

And, just to make things more difficult for the old/mainstream carriers (QF included), in the next few years I'd be expecting at least one Chinese carrier to hit the top 10 (Hainan is already a 5 star but doesn't yet have the global coverage), and also Garuda to complete its transition from basket case to star.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
305 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

I'm very pleased to see BA has won best transatlantic airline. I can certainly agree with that 100%.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,742 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

So, this is the beginning of the 3rd Quarter of 2012...what's with declaring the rankings with 5 months remaining in the year? How amusing.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 15:44
Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

As long as the results are released the same time every year it makes no difference what month. Even if had been January.

:-)

London
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Skytrax Top 10 Airlines for 2012

So every award ceremony and poll for any industry is always at the end of December then, kyshel ??