We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

We live in Edinburgh so I was thinking the flight from Glasgow might be better for us than having to travel on a separate ticket to LHR.

However after checking things on the Emirates website it appears that the flight from Glasgow has connections in Dubai (expected) AND Bangkok(unexpected) before reaching Hong Kong. The return flight doesn't have the Bangkok connection just Dubai.

Would those with experience of both LHR and Bangkok prefer to transfer through one or the other of them bearing in mind that the portion of the trip from Edinburgh to LHR would be on a separate ticket? I think there was a very long lay over at either Dubai or Bangkok which would require a hotel room for the night.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

Emirates also have direct flights from Dubai to Hong Kong, but I would choose the flight with a stop in Bangkok. Direct flights connecting with the afternoon departure are on outdated A330-200 while the flight with a stop in Bangkok is on A380.

The layover in Dubai is 2-3 hours. Bangkok is just a stop of 1h20m and no change of aircraft.

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
15,333 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

Emirates have lots of options on their flight times and normally offer different times which in turn offer different layovers.

I've done the Birmingham to Bangkok flight with Emirates and our layover time was 3 hours. It was a through ticket so we just stayed airside and our baggage was sent straight through to the final destination. When we landed in Bangkok the message on the loudspeaker informed passengers that were carrying on to Hong Kong to stay on the plane and it would take off in an hour.

Having looked on the Emirates site only yesterday regarding flights to Malaysia which also have a layer in Dubai the times were from 2.5 hours to 10 hours so you need go check what you have booked and opt for the layover that is best for you. They do not always provide you with a hotel relating to your layover time and I'm sure the hotel request is also connected to what kind of ticket you purchase.

For the distance you would have to travel to London I would just opt for the layover.

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

Are you sure the bangkok stop is an actual connection rather than just a stop/via? If there is the same flight number Dubai-bkk-hong kong then it will be a stop meaning in most cases time to get off the plane and stretch your legs befor continuing on the same aircraft. You would not need to worry about possibly missing the next leg as it is the same flight. But of course it will take a bit longer. I would have thought that the Dubai to hong kong leg is direct, albeit with one stop. (direct is not the same as non-stop).

If course, connecting in dubai may be (slightly) more complicated as the flight from scotland will be a different flight. especially if there is an overnight stop.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

I cannot comment on Emirates but would urge caution if you are consider a seperately ticketed flight from Edinburgh to LHR to "connect" with a long haul flight.

If your domestic flight is delayed/cancelled and you miss the long haul flight then you are simply a no show and you would need to buy a new ticket as neither airline has any responsibility to get you to Hong Kong.

If you do decide to buy seperate tickets I would fly to LHR the day before and stay overnight giving me the contingency to make alternative plans if there was a problem with the domestic flight.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

Not sure why you'd need to be on a separate ticket via LHR. You can get a one-stop GLA-LHR-HKG throught ticket (first leg BA, second leg BA, CX or VS). Saves a lot of messing around in DBX.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,659 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

"...better for us than having to travel on a separate ticket to LHR."

Why would you ever have to do that? All the major carriers from the UK to HKG offer through fares. Emirates, on first look seems to be cheapest, by quite a bit.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

I would rather 'mess around' in DXB than changing terminals at LHR.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

Just get BA from Glasgow, you would then arrive and leave T5 no messing.

:-)

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
8,659 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

"I would rather 'mess around' in DXB than changing terminals at LHR."

And there we dramatically disagree. Luckily, the DXB connect times for this routing are relatively short. However...

Emirates doesn't fly non-stop to HKG from DXB. You stop in BKK for 17 hours (on the random selection of dates I chose) on the way there, and a 10 or 21 hour stop in BKK on the way back.

That makes changing terminals at LHR a snap by comparison... but you don't even have to change, as has been pointed out.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 13:34
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,360 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates:- Glasgow - Hong Kong.

I suppose the Edi to LHR bit on a separate ticket came to mind because that is how my daughter and her BF did it at the end of June. But now that I think about it again they were on more of budget than we will be, it was cheaper than other options and they did have a 7 hr layover in LHR much to the BF's disgust!

They were very impressed with Emirates so that is why I was considering the options with them first but I will be doing a lot more checking on the routes/airlines and prices on offer.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions so far.