We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

going from LAX to IST in sept (returning OCT) I've gotten seat assignments (within 90 or 100 days, can't remember which)--the seats we wanted, by calling the airline, since there is no place on their website to select seats (maybe if you purchase within the 90 days, but we bought months ago)

i like to check my flight (well, the seats, really) info about once a week, so there are no surprises. but without being able to see the seat assignment online...i feel a bit foolish calling them every week asking, are my seats okay? (like i own them and they're just "seat-sitting") lol. seems like a waste of their time and mine.

do i have any alternatives i just haven't thought of?

(sorry if this sounds petty. well i guess it IS) ;-)

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

Harass them often enough and they will probably take the seats off you. :(

I take it you will not swap seats with someone else if asked??

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

I wouldn't say its petty at all, you are travelling on a long haul flight of I'd guess 12 hours or so and just want to be as comfortable as possible, no problem there.

When you call and check your seat numbers Im sure there are many different people in the call centre which means you may not ever speak to the same person twice, so your not really "bothering" anyone.

Maybe next time you call you could ask someone at the call centre if there is any way of seeing your seat requests in your "my booking" area?

Calling every week although giving you peace of mind, doesn't really help though, because if the airline do decide to re allocate your requested seats then would be nothing you could do anyway as this is their right and all you could do would be try and get some other decent seats before they all get booked up.

:-)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,369 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

Hi,

It's not petty.. Phone agents get all kinds of requests-- from the routine, to the weird and beyond.. So a simple call about "are my seats still XYZ?" won't be at all outside the bounds of normalcy.. And even if you do get the same person twice-- which I doubt you would or would remember such-- they're really not going to care..

These says most phone agents are graded, judged or the like by company management for productivity issues based on things like how many hours did they spend actual calls, how many calls did they handle etc.. So your issue will be just another call.. nothing more, nothing less.

If calling weekly or whatever makes you feel better and addresses your concerns, by all means do so.. Naturally if they have online functionality (I'm not sure if they do or don't) that would be easier for you, and better for the airline, but in the end, either way gets the job done.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 16 July 2012, 08:37
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

thanks. the agent on the phone told me there is no mechanism on their website for checking on my allocated seats.

jagjetfly, not sure of the meaning behind your question? we have a 14 hour flight, on a 777 with 3-3-3 seat configuration. that means someone is stuck in the middle (we are a couple) EXCEPT for in the back, where there are rows of 2-3-2. so yes, i called for seat allocation the first chance i could, for both outbound and return, and would be disappointed if these seats were changed. i can't imagine circumstances under which i would volunteer to change on this particular flight (tho i have in the past). and yes, it has occurred to me that maybe they put a check mark beside my name for every silly call i make and at some point say, off with her head! lol

obviously they are under no obligation to give me those seats just because they told me they would; i know stuff happens, change of equipment, etc. which is why i like to keep tabs on the seats so if necessary, i can try for other seats that are almost as good. i need an aisle (no one wants to be on a 14-hour flight with me if i'm not in an aisle seat, but i will be merciful and not go into details) and on long flights we like to be seated together so we can lean against one another to sleep.

also, i am recovering from spinal fusion and this will not, i think, be the most comfy flight all around! ;-( (i hope whoever is behind me takes mercy on me and does not jiggle my seat too much, i'm already cutting it close on time limits for when i can fly!)

Edited: 16 July 2012, 08:53
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
82,301 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

Bear in mind that this is a request for particular seats, not a guaranteed reservation. Every airline reserves the right to change seat allocations, even after boarding if considered necessary.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

Bear in mind that this is a request for particular seats, not a guaranteed reservation. Every airline reserves the right to change seat allocations, even after boarding if considered necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the OP understands that fully as they put in post #4

"obviously they are under no obligation to give me those seats just because they told me they would; i know stuff happens, change of equipment, etc. which is why i like to keep tabs on the seats so if necessary, i can try for other seats that are almost as good."

London
Level Contributor
8,118 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

My last flight with Emirates checked my seat allocation few weeks after booking and found aircraft type had changed. I picked another seat that was suitable for me and when checked again few weeks later, aircraft had been changed back to original type. So once more had to choose another seat. Luckily travelling alone so had no problem picking suitable seat.

Therefore, siouxxie, no harm rechecking a few times.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
5,044 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

Instead of one of you being stuck in a middle seat, why not book two aisle seats across the aisle from each other? Just an idea if you "loose" your desired seats. I would hate having a middle seat.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
14,890 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

nomadic, we have sat across the aisle from one another before, but not for long-haul. we like to snuggle (and whatever! lol) "in the night."

yes i know there is no guarantee, heck i've even paid for seats i was later relieved of. just trying to stay on top of things. i wonder if turkish air has a suggestion box where i might suggest they make seat allocation available for viewing on "my bookings" and thus waste neither their own time nor mine.

wanderin....that has happened to us too. like revolving aircraft! what can you do, it's life in air travel these days! have to be prepared for anything.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,204 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: keeping an eye on my assigned seats on turkish air

To me calling in every week asking are my sets ok sounds just a little OCD.