We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fed up with sittling in economy class

Sydney, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
fed up with sittling in economy class

Help needed...

I am fed up economy class. every time i book ticket i get middle seat.

heard of Optiontown upgrade to business class. but not sure..hw it works

Mark

Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

Hey mark - there is a very long post on 'optiontown' on the air travel forum so head over there and have a look.

Loved it when MAS used it and had a 100% success rate but they no longer doing it. For KL it's airasia only and most people seem pretty happy with it if they are successful - just remember its not guaranteed and you do lose the small fee if unsuccessful with your money normally being refunded within 7 days of the non upgrade.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
11,984 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

You can always pay a bit extra to pick a seat..

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,771 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

Hi markrobby

I completely agree with you. For so very many years Traveltom & I suffered the economy class knees in face thing. Then the magic day happened when we got an upgrade with frequent flyer points and we're now converts. Well, perhaps you could call us SKIs. You know, "spending kids inheritance". Just love it.

durham
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

I guess I shouldn't really spread the word (so...shhhhh....keep it quiet!) but this is a really useful web site. It allows you to see the best seats on each plane (it's only useful if you are able to book them of course):

http://www.seatguru.com/

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,164 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

When we can afford it we fly club, when we can't we pay more and pick our seats. Been using seatguru (part of trip advisor) for years.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

Travelkat88:

Could you please delete your post before my parents read it - SKI's indeed hahaha

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,611 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

1. Pay more to buy a seat in advance;

2. Check-in online or reserve online (depending on airline seating policy) early to select a seat as soon as possible;

3. Buy a business class airfare.

No other ways around it, really.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

What routes do you normally fly?

What airlines do you use or prefer?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

There are a few things you can do to improve your situation before taking the leap to business class.

1. Pay slightly more and get yourself an exit row seat. Plenty of legroom there.

2. Again, pay a little more for the privilege of picking your own seat (or fly with an airline that allows you to do this for nothing) and pick an aisle (or window if you prefer) seat - more room to stretch out.

3. Pay more again and try Premium Economy - not quite business class standard but more room to stretch out a little.

4. Check out the 'seat pitch' of different airlines before you buy a ticket - this is effectively a measure of leg room. Not all airlines are the same and not all planes on the same airline are the same. Pick your flights accordingly.

You will, however, need to resign yourself to the fact that the better the seat, the more room you have, the more you have to pay.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: fed up with sittling in economy class

I don't fly often and I always fly cheap and I always get to pick my seat when I purchase my ticket. As a "fat" guy I always pick the window seat and do my best to squash up against the window, what airline doesn't allow you to pick your seat when you buy your ticket? I am flying on US Air in 3 weeks and picked my seat when I bought my $102 one way ticket to Newark from Indy.