We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

Bangalore
Level Contributor
16 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

Jet Airways as send notification of new baggage rules by their newsletter dated 16th July, 2012.

The maximum dimension of check-in baggage in all kind of aircrafts (measured by length + width + height) is 158 cm or 62 inches.

Many of the large suitcases that people have to carry, especially when going to study abroad, relocation, etc., are of larger dimension. E.g. VIP Skylight Strolly 79 (167 cm), Delsey 76 cm 4 wheel trolly (162 cm).

Does it mean that Jet Airways can officially decline to check-in such baggage at the airport check-in counter? Or demand extra money (how much)?

What about the inconvenience and harassment to the passenger?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,549 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

"Does it mean that Jet Airways can officially decline to check-in such baggage at the airport check-in counter? Or demand extra money (how much)?"

I think you will find that 158cm is fairly standard with airlines - in some situations in might be less.

If your bags are significantly in excess of the size/weight limits then the airline can refuse to carry them - if only slightly above the size/weight limits there is normally an excess baggage charge.

The solution is to buy a case that meets the airlines limits.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

Hi,

ashisdutta,

"Does it mean that Jet Airways can officially decline to check-in such baggage at the airport check-in counter? Or demand extra money (how much)?"

==> Unless there is a regulation that says otherwise, yes, they are free to change policy at their discretion.. As noted, there has been a movement towards capping baggage sizes and weights..

While bags these days move more via machine than human, there's still a human labor component there.. and what carriers are discovering is that when it comes to LTI (Loss Time Injuries) involving employees and moving bags, that there's a notable correlation to weights and sizes..

The figures Jet is using is, as noted, in the "ball park" of what other carrier use as their limits. So I don't think they are setting their standards unduly low.

"What about the inconvenience and harassment to the passenger?"

==> I'm not sure about the "harassment" part, as I don't think the motivation on the part of Jet to institute the policy shift was to elicit such a response from their passenger base..

As for inconvenience, I think when you look at the 'norm' these days for bags that are commonly sold and bought in retailers, that many now fit these measurements as this is now either the or becoming the norm..

Much the same way with cabin bags.. While you can still find very large bags, you also see quite a few that are new design and are made explicitly to meet the new standards for what's acceptable for cabin bags.

Naturally, there will be some who are now "put out" by this change-- as you note-- but I do think that if we were to look at their larger statistical average passenger and baggage checked, that it would represent a small percentage.

Travel Safe,

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

I think if you are relocating etc, then the solution is to cargo your belongings to your destination, the hold is really not going to be the place for it. The size looks reasonable to me, as people still have to lift it. t least they have communicated well in advance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

>> Does it mean that Jet Airways can officially decline to check-in such baggage at the airport check-in counter? Or demand extra money (how much)? <<

Jet specifically answers this on their checked baggage website, right at the bottom -

"Please Note: All guests carrying check-in baggage / items exceeding the specified dimensions of 158 cms will be charged a flat fee of INR 1000 at the airport counter. This fee will be charged in addition to the existing excess baggage fee wherever applicable. This fee is applicable to all guests travelling within India. "

jetairways.com/en/…checkedbaggage.aspx

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,586 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

Decisions are usually made case x case.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,932 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

my daughter has just gone to Germany for a year to work. Her backpack weighed 18kg ... it can be done.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

I just measured my main multi-week Samsonite hard top (which I've used with Jet before). It just fits - 59.5"/134cm.

Certainly many of the cases I've seen on carousels would fall foul, so I'm a little surprised that a full service carrier like 9W would do this. But, it's their prerogative, and one has to read the T+C's before booking.

But thanks for the heads up!

8. Re: Jet Airways new rule debars large check-in baggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:17