We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi, I will like to know if Thai airway still have the shuttle bus service from DMK to BKK? And the frequency as well as cost? Is it for anybody or I need to be a passenger with Thai airway? How long is the journey? I will arrive DMK from koh samui at 1515h and need to check in at 1745h at BKK.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

As Thai Airways does not operate/fly to or from DMK, there is no longer a dedicated Thai Airways-operated shuttle between the two airports as there has been in the past..

With the pending move of AirAsia, as well as several other point-to-point carriers from BKK to DMK there are plans underway to have a shuttle service, but at present, no formal news or confirmation of this has yet to be made public.

The drive time would be in the range of :60 +/- as it's about a 40km drive.. but naturally will depend heavily on route chosen and traffic conditions....

BKK (Suvarnabhumi) is on the father eastern side of the metro area, and DMK is located to the northern/central part of the metro area.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 19 July 2012, 16:25
Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

Thanks for your information. So any suggestion how I can travel from DMK to BKK. I have about 2.5h to spare.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

Right now, you only real solution is a taxi...

But... I strongly suspect there will be some type of shuttle service by the time October's move date comes...

AirAsia has said they will have one.. but it's not known yet if it will be only for AirAsia passengers, it's timetable, or fee structure (if any)..

What does concern me a little is your timeline.. 2:30....

The ride from DMK to BKK will be around :60... but it *might* be :30 to :40 ... or.... :70 to :90.. it really depends on the city traffic...

So, just using a baseline of :60, that means your "2.5hrs" is now 1.5...

... and we'd need to subtract another :40 as that tends to the minimum and average deadline to be fully checked-in (and that means you and your bags)...

Therefore, between the drive time and the check-in deadline time, you've already 'used' about 1:40 of that 2.5 total time.. but I have to stress.. that drive time can really be a crap shoot in terms of traffic.

Even IF there is/was a shuttle, the shuttle would be in the same situation as there's no dedicate bus lanes-- so the shuttle is prone to the same traffic issues as would a taxi..

Therefore, to me, given that your two flights are what's called "unprotected" in terms of you making the 'connection' between the two-- I'd want to leave AT MINIMUM around 3 to 4hrs; again remembering that one hour plus will be just the drive time.

Unprotected connections means you bear all risks if you miss it and neither carrier has any obligations to you.

So, at time point, your best bet will be a regular taxi... but if you can do so, I'd try to get another flight that allows you more time as I'm just not entirely comfortable with 2.5hr unprotected onward flight timeline that requires an intra-city airport transfer..

Travel Safe,

Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

Thank you so much for your detailed information. I do not have luggage to check in so I can play a little time here and there. My flight is departing at 2000h so I can still check in latest at 1900h. Anyway I will take your advice to go by taxi

Thank you once again :)

Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

any one know the cost of a taxi from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi after 10pm ?

Bangkok
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,542 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

It's going to run about B300+/-... and BTW, the time of day or night doesn't matter... as it's distance based (unless in traffic and the taxi can't move faster than the cross-over speed)..

Remember that BKK is on the farther eastern edge of the city.. DMK is on the norther edge of the city; and given how the expressways are laid out, the taxi will use the eastern expressway and connect to the northern expressway once near the city center.

There are shorter distance routes, but they all require mostly surface streets and that's where traffic can really come into play and drive up (no pun intended) you time and costs by virtue of traffic conditions on surface streets.

Travel Safe,

Chanthaburi...
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

We traveled from bus terminal near Suvarnabhumi to Don Mueang on Friday, return trip Monday.

Both times took the 555 bus, in no hurry we had hours to spare before flights. Bus costs 34 baht per adult. Both trips around 12.30-1pm and took 1hr 05 on Friday, 55 min Monday.

A taxi would I guess be 15 minutes faster - a limit how fast they can go of course in traffic.

An option if you're not in a hurry.

And a note - ensure you confirm the price between airports before getting in taxi; we met a tourist who was not complaining about the price, but mentioned he had paid 500 baht for the trip.

And my quick review of DM - 3/10. Really - lack of seating, lack of signage, little choice of food/drink, and a tiny duty free store. We were surprised how poor the whole place is. Difficult to get around for people with a lot of luggage, and no consideration given that we could se efor a disabled person.

Kochi
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

Just took the shuttle service yesterday from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport and it took 50 minutes (considering it was a working day) to get me there. Very convenient and bus was airconditioned and most of all it is a FREE service. To board the bus as you emerge out of Don Muang airport arival hall, head left to the last exit and thats where the shuttle bus is parked.

Highly recommended and kudos to the Thai transport authorities and the Airports authority for this great service.

bilbao
Level Contributor
37 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

And this bus doesn´t have any number or destination wrotten in front???

Can it be used for anyone?

Does it work during the night?

Is there any webpage where to have a look???

Thanks

Kochi
Level Contributor
5 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi airport

Hi,

To be quite honest I don't thnk it has a number and I did not see the board before I boarded it. However the following day when I had gone to Suvarnabhumi to pick someone else, I noticed a bus go past me and it had the words SHUTTLE BUS on it.

As for the boarding point at Don Muang you cannot miss it. It the last station on the left side as you emerge out of Don Muang airport. As for the Web site, I didn't find it when I searched for it before arriving at Bangkok. Its purely by chance I happened to ask someone at the Don Muang airport and they informed me of the shuttle service. I am assuming its very new service.