We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

who would you fly with

New Zealand
Level Contributor
709 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
who would you fly with

from lax to orlando

united airlines

american airlines

or virgin blue

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: who would you fly with

Hi Sparkle,

Do you have a flight in bound to US mainland that you will connect with this flight from?

Are you a FF with Oneworld or Star Alliance?

If so AirNZ & Star Alliance partner with UA - QF and Oneworld partner with AA. - That will help with the luggage if that's the case.

If not, i have flown all 3 domestically in US and IMO much of a muchness. - Pick the flight that works best for you not the airline, if you are looking at those 3.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: who would you fly with

Allow 3 hrs between arrival time at LAX and departure from LAX to Orlando ... best to have plenty of time, than little time and there's no stress. If you have spare time, you can go into the airline lounge, as per your other TA query on showers.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: who would you fly with

Given you have previously posted about flying in from NZ, and how your luggage would be handled, you should fly on whatever flight you would get on a single through ticket.

If you buy two separate tickets,which your question implies, then not only will you need to check your bags in again rather than just hand them over, but you will have zero protection against a late arrival, or a long wait in immigration and customs, either if which, or both together, could result in you missing your onward flight, and that and the corresponding return leg, being cancelled.

Buy one ticket from NZ to Orlando. Depending who you fly with from NZ, you are unlikely to get a choice of all three.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,517 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: who would you fly with

Hi,

To me, I think a big part of it is, as others note, who you're flying with into LAX.

I do however, note that Virgin Blue (or what is now Virgin Australia) to MCO is not really an option as they don't actually service MCO and unless you're originating at a non-US point, no foreign (non US) flagged carrier has consecutive cabotage rights within the US... Virgin America however is..

I also do wholly support the idea of a single-ticket as that 'connection' protection can be a HUGE asset if/when a missed connection does occur..

Granted it might cost more, but unless you're able and willing to self-absorb those costs/risks with a two-ticket booking, or have insurance that you've confirmed does in fact cover a separate (or what I call a self-made connection) ticket situations, I think you're better off with a 1-ticket booking..

As for the differences between the two (or three if you add in Virgin American (VX)) I think that while there are and can be some differences, for the most part, they will be far more similar than dissimilar in terms of the hard product.

I might give VX the edge in this aspect as they're running a much newer fleet than any of the older US legacy carriers.. but with a larger carrier you do also tend to have more options in terms of flights and routings.

Travel Safe,

Folkestone, United...
Level Contributor
156 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: who would you fly with

Virgin America... they are not Virgin Blue........

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: who would you fly with

One other item to mention. If you're on one through ticket, you also avoid the checked baggage fees that apply to US Domestic flights. Baggage on a through ticket is subject to the International baggage limits while those on seperate tickets are not.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: who would you fly with

go with Virgin, AA and UA have seen better days!

8. Re: who would you fly with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2012, 00:17
Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: who would you fly with

"Virgin every time. Good old british company you can't go wrong"

____

The airline in the OP is Virgin Blue - not Virgin Atlantic!

10. Re: who would you fly with

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2013, 10:16