We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

Cobram, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

We are flying from Melbourne to kl on saturday. We had planned to take some snacks for the kids,but when I checked in on line, it said you can't consume your own food onboard.

I've not come across this before, does anyone know if it is enforced?

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,970 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

the family (M, D & 2 smll boys) sitting in front of us on a flight Gold coast to KL last year had a back-pack full of stuff for the kids (toys, games, snacks, drinks etc)- nobody seemed to notice or mind... the kids were quiet so the rest of the passengers were happy too!

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

Check out the KL forum I have read where people have been told not to eat their own food when they have attempted to.

Bit over the top on AirAsia's part. The food they sold when I last flew with them 2008 in Asia was bad so it would have to have improved to not let you eat your own.

Durham
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

We took our own food no issues

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
25,104 posts
1,961 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

I think if you are subtle about it no-one will notice or care. We certainly had no issues.

Tommo

Cobram, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

Thanks everyone.

I was going to order food off the menu, but it is served after take off, and we leave at 12.45am.

I plan to take some snacks for when the kids wake in the morning in case there is no food available to purchase then.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

The food they serve really does not match the times they fly. Who wants pasta or curry at 1am?!

As a vegetarian, their offerings are even worse. Just pasta/lasagne on long-haul (it's Air *Asia* but only western vegetarian offerings, grr), and no healthy snacks/light meals-- all the sandwiches etc have meat. I don't consider potato chips a healthy snack! So I've taken my own food. Haven't been questioned abut it by crew but if so I would have mentioned dietary requirements the airline didn't cater to.

If on an overnight flight I always take some kind of fruit for 'breakfast', as it makes me feel more human after what can be pretty exhausting flights-- it is a very 'budget' airline.

Hope you have a smooth flight.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

Never had a problem bringing our own, snacks but not a whole picnic. I love the nasi lemak on the menu.

Level Contributor
48 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

Flown this route several times on AA and taken my own snacks with no dramas.... I think the only time they would care is if someone tried to bring hot food on board (ie Maccas which I have seen on many domestic flights!)

Drinks and snacks are an OK price, much better than domestic carriers, and even more reasonable if you have some Riingitt to use.

Happy Travels

Asia
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

It is the airport staff who check your hand carried luggage, not Air Asia staff. So AA staff don't know that you bring foods on board and might not mind if you quietly eat your own foods.

I carry them as gifts to my nephews/nieces but I don't eat on board. Their rule doesn't want me to eat, so I don't eat. I often buy their foods and drinks too but the foods look awful compared to what printed on the menu lol.

Edited: 25 July 2012, 11:14
Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Air Asia no own food policy, is it enforced

Airlines mainly tell people not to bring their own food due to the fact that some food smells can offend people sitting around them. You really won't have any troubles!