We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spirit Airlines Review

Tyler, Texas
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Spirit Airlines Review

Our family of 5 went on vacation from Dallas to Fort Lauderdale during the last week of July 2012. I seriously considered driving to save on money. But that would be over 24 hours in the van with 3 young kids, not counting all the stops we would have to make in between. So, I decided to give Spirit a try. I had heard all the horror stories about them, so my expectation wasn't very high. All I wanted was to get on a plane at DFW and get to Florida in one piece the same day instead of 24hrs.

*****Customer Service issue 1.

I purchased 5 tickets, and the next day I was reviewing my purchase and to my horror I noticed my first mistake. I accidentally purchased 5 carry on bags instead of 5 check in baggage. Spirit is pretty strict with their refund policy. But I decided to call anyways. customer service was polite but reluctant. Eventually they gave me a full refund on the carry on which I used to purchased 5 check in bags.

*****Customer Service issue 2.

I elected not to pre-purchase seating. I was afraid that we would be spread out and not be seated together. So I wanted to check in online early right at 24hrs before the flight so we could at least be seated as a group. 24 hours came and I went online to check in but the link wasn't there. I called customer service and they told me that since I'm traveling with kids, I could not do online check in, I had to do counter check in at the airport. Again they were polite but in this case gave me the wrong info. The day of travel I looked online and the link was there, but I took their advice and waited till I got to the airport.

*****Traveling Day.

I wanted to be at the airport 3 hours early but things didn't go as planned. We ended up getting to the check out counter right at 5PM and our flight was for 6:45PM. They quickly checked us in and to our surprise we were all seated together 9ABCDE. We were able to quickly get thru security and we boarded and took off on time. The plane wasn't new but everything was clean and we had reclining seats. Something was rattling quite loudly during our takeoff from DFW. But once in the air it was smooth sailing all the way to FLL. The cabin crew was courteous but don't expect any frills. You have to purchase beverages or snacks if you want them Credit Card only no Cash. A can of soda is $3 and a bag of pretzel is $6. If you want something to drink or eat I recommend buying it before boarding. That's what we did.

*****Return Trip.

We got to the airport at 4PM for an 8:25 flight. Plenty of time. At FLL we didn't see any human check in counter for domestic travel. We had to use an automated check in counter. They have lots of them at FLL. I'm guessing at least 20. They have a customer service agent assigned for a set number of machines. She was very friendly and actually did it for us. the machine automatically spits out 5 boarding passes together. 17ABCDE.

The plane was a brand new Airbus A320. Very comfortable seats, but they don't recline and they are close together. The flight was smooth and uneventful which is a good thing. Smooth sailing for 2 1/2 hours until we landed. We took off on time.

*****Rating.

All in all I would have to give Spirit an A. Given my expectation everything went as well as the big boys. So no complaints from me. I would definitely fly them again.

*****Advice.

-If flying as a family in our case 5, in pays to purchase the $9 fare club. It saved us a lot on luggage.

-Spirit has more rules than most airlines, so make sure you know what you're getting into. Use their rules to your advantage and you can save big on the price of a ticket.

-I'm short 5'8 so that wasn't a problem for me, but if you're a really tall person, or hefty you may want to pay extra for the big seats upfront.

-Last but not least give yourself plenty of time for this airline.

Good Luck.

kentucky
Level Contributor
5,790 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

so, would a very low budget airline be extremely rare?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

This past weekend was my first time with Spirit Airlines. It will be my last. I'll tell as many people as I can, to avoid Spirit Airlines. The only reason I didn't give a rating of "0" is because we didn''t crash. So I'm thankful for that. Everything else was a disaster. To wit:

1. False advertising: a customer is pretty much forced to join the "$9 fare club." Only there is no such thing as a $9 anything. The only 2 options are either $19.95 Trial Membership or else $59.95 Annual. Not $9.

2. False promotion on the Trial Membership. I tried to sign up for the Trial Membership, but it wasn't given as an option. Only the Annual Membership was listed as an option. I submitted my credit card number, thinking that the next page would surely give me the option to buy the Trial Membership before my card was charged, but Nope. Charged my card for annual when I only wanted Trial.

3. Horrible Customer Service: I called Customer service to ask for a refund of the difference of $59.95 versus $19.95. They refused to do so. And they were unable to clearly state why they couldn't refund me. Other than that it wasn't "the policy."

4. Horrible wait times: I called customer service twice. Was on hold for about 30 minutes both times.

5. Misleading instructions about plane-change. I had a stopover in Dallas, in between Denver and Houston. I asked at the counter if I was to stay on the plane or deplane in Dallas. They said to stay on the plane, it would go directly to Houston. Wrong. It was the exact opposite.

6. Poor communication: For some reason we sat on the plan in Denver for about 30 minutes after scheduled departure time and after the plane was fully loaded. No explanation from anyone why. Then when we arrived in Houston, we sat on the taxiway for about 10 minutes, after we were already about an hour late arriving, and again no explanation.

7. Constant promotion of some Spirit Airlines credit card offer. On all 4 legs of my flight, the stewardess droned on for about 10 minutes about signing up for a Spirit credit card. I don't want to hear an advertisement when I'm trying to either sleep or read or work.

8. Automatic renewal of the Annual Membership. I am forced to have to remember to cancel the ridiculous $59.95 "$9 Fare Club" at the end of the year. Otherwise my credit card will be automatically charged again.

9. I have flown almost every airlines in the world at this point in my career. Spirit is head and shoulders, above and beyond, the worst airlines ever. In a class totally by itself. Spirit Airlines will break your spirit about the the process of flying, that's for sure.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

I have nothing to say.....which surprises even me. What can you do besides, laugh?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,934 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

Re item six in post 42, ground movements at an airport are controlled by ATC, not by the airline. If the skipper has been instructed to wait then s/he will have to do so until further instructions are given. Ideally, flight deck crew will know the reason for the delay, and should pass that on to pax, but that's not often the case.

Re item seven. Rampant upselling is - sadly - not limited to Spirit. Some crews on US flights push the branded credit card as hard as they can, and Ryanair crew try to sell whatever isn't held down with soldered rivets. Tedious, but not a failing of any one airline.

With respect to number five, if you asked ground agents in IAH about goings-on at DFW they might have guessed, at best. Whether or not pax will have needed to disembark could have been a function of airport operations and amount of time between wheels down and wheels up.

https:/…StaticFareClubEnrollment.aspx Section 3.2, Payment, of the T&Cs indicates how to sign up for a trial membership of the $9 club. You *did* read the T&Cs before ticking the box and agreeing the purchase, didn't you?

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

3. Horrible Customer Service: I called Customer service to ask for a refund of the difference of $59.95 versus $19.95. They refused to do so. And they were unable to clearly state why they couldn't refund me. Other than that it wasn't "the policy."

Make sure you unsubscribe IN WRITING well in advance of your "Membership" falling due again. They do not issue renewal notices. They will continue to charge your credit card every year until you do with no refunds.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

>> 8. Automatic renewal of the Annual Membership. I am forced to have to remember to cancel the ridiculous $59.95 "$9 Fare Club" at the end of the year. Otherwise my credit card will be automatically charged again.<<

If #42 had bothered to read the T+C's of the $9 Club >>before<< clicking the Purchase Button (sorry "Start My Savings" button; btw does anyone think he did read them?) he would have known that he can cancel his membership at any time - including now - by visiting his online profile, and the unexpired membership will continue until it elapses. Noone is forcing him to "have to remember to cancel .... at the end of the year".

Via the link provided by TP -

"4.3. Membership will automatically renew to another annual membership unless Member either cancels his or her membership by unsubscribing within their FREE SPIRIT account profile or contact Spirit to cancel in writing at the address specified below. Cancellations by mail will take approximately 4 to 6 weeks to become effective.

4.4. Recurring Membership is effective for a period of twelve months following the end of the Trial Term, and twelve months following the renewal date in subsequent years."

47. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 21:42
Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
48. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

It turns out that this Spirit "discount" airlines is more expensive than all other airlines. The Spirit airlines is dishonored and there's a catch with the "discount".

I paid $250 for round trip tickets traveling from Boston on 05/26/13 and Chicago on 05/30/13. While all other major airlines tickets were available for the same trip at $330.

On the face value, I had a $80 discount by buying the Spirit airlines tickets. But it actually cost me over a hundred more at the time of traveling. Spirit charges $50 each way for a standard carry on luggage and $45 for a first check-in luggage. While most other airlines provide free of charge for carry on luggage and $30 for a first check-in luggage.

Besides paying a actual higher price, I got the poor (discounted) services, long line at the service counter with few staff, seats are awfully small and uncomfortable (tiny leg space for me 5'6), there is no inflight entertainment, and a bottled water will cost over $3.

The worse thing is they even cut our scheduled flight originate from Chicago at 1:36pm (save money or running out of plane?), and made hundreds of people wait for hours for a plane originate from Boston at 1:30pm. We ended up with a 3 hours deplay and rush on the plane just landed without cleaning service. It must be a joke for our flight from Chicago to Boston at 1:36pm to wait for a flight from Boston to Chicago at 1:30pm. Spirit is also dishonored about the flight delay. We were told the delay was due to weather. But there was no Chicago weather issues at 1:30pm on 05/30/13, and other airlines 1pm - 2pm departures were on time.

I will never fly Spirit again.

49. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2014, 21:42
Iowa
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Spirit Airlines Review

8283john....You should have looked at the baggage fees before you thought you were getting such a good deal. The fees are right there on their website with a whole page dedicated to Spirit fees. Here it is in case you missed it....

http://www.spirit.com/optionalfees.aspx

As far as weather...maybe you haven't noticed but there have been huge storms around the middle of the country everyday for more than a week now. A three hour delay due to weather is nothing to complain about.