We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Will be flying from Atlanta, Georgia to Tokyo in early Dec - on United airlines for domestic then connecting to ANA airlines

Have choice of either Atlanta-Chicago-Tokyo or Atlanta-Washington-Tokyo (similar transit times and early morning departures fr Atlanta)

Which would be better option, particularly in terms of on time flight departures/connections ?

Understand that Chicago in early Dec can have bad winter weather and delays - not sure if Washington may be less prone to delays?

Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,679 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Hi,

Not a whole lo of difference here..

But what I'd look at is what other XXX-NRT options are at each airport..

Both ORD and IAD have NH and UA non-stops to NRT.. So that's a wash.. but both have non-stops to other Asia cities that *might* be options for you to then connect onward to NRT..

If I recall you have from ORD non-stops on JL and AA as possible off-line options.. From IAD you'd have just UA and NH-- so a few less options on a non-stop basis..

Both cities do have several foreign carriers that could get you to Narita, albeit with a connection in their respective hub like Asian via Seoul, Air China* via Beijing, etc..

(Note: travel to or via the PRC can for some require a visa, so this is an option that requires some additional research)

On the domestic front, both will have more than ample hub-to-hub connections IF you need to now move to a city where there's more US--> Asia service-- and largely that would be going to either SFO or LAX for a flight out.. but at that point, given the reality that most US->Asia services are late AM or midday departures, by the time you do get to SFO or LAX, you'd most likely be looking at next day departure.

So, just from a "options" basis, I'd probably favor ORD over IAD due to the possible alternatives on AA and JL, which does not exist at IAD.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 30 July 2012, 10:42
Waupaca, WI
Destination Expert
for Gay Travel
Level Contributor
628 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

chicago has worse winters

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Thanks so much for the advice.

Hav checked out other Asia airlines like Asiana but looks like ANA schedule is more favorable.

In view of worse winter weather in Chicago, will prob choose Washington route to avoid plane delays

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
102 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

I fly through both and I think Washington is your best bet. Chicago can be iffy in December.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Thanks so much for the advice - will fly thru Washington

Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Personally I think Chicago is better though taxi time can take forever and there's alot of people

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,585 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Weather-wise, Washington should be less prone to delays vs Chicago, particularly in December.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Thanks - no taxi involved, just transiting fr Atlanta to Tokyo - will choose to transit Washington rather than Chicago in view of possible weather delays

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

Oh what's the chance of a big Midwest snow storm in early December? :))

Chicago has worse weather in winter agreed, but it also is more capable than Washington Dulles or Atlanta in dealing with bad weather. A couple of inches of snow and these 2 places come to a freeze.

I exaggerate a bit maybe. But I prefer ORD-NRT.

1. More flights, more variations available on how to get to destination if needed.

2.This kind of route ATL-IAD makes me feel like I am spinning in one place instead of making headway westward toward the Pacific Rim.

3. I would rather be stuck in too cool Chicago than Dull Dulles.

Rationalize it all we want, it comes down to luck. Fare thee well with weather fair.

10. Re: Atlanta-Tokyo early Dec - transit Chicago or Washington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:15