We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

I have a return ticket with Hong Kong Airline, (London-Hong Kong return). The outbound flight seems to be operating ok, but the inbound is suspended, in fact the whole route is being scraped.

What are my rights? should the airline offer me the option of alternative travel at no additional cost? or should I be entitled to half of my ticket being rufunded?

Can anyone help plz?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,724 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

If all your flights are no longer available the airline would normally offer you alternative flights - if these are not suitable then you should get a full refund.

They re not required to offer alternative flights and if you need to book new flights at a higher cost then HK are not required to meet the additional cost - their responsibility ends when they refund you.

You might want to delete your duplicate post.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Have the same problem with HK airlines LGW-HKG-LGW both ways in September. Ticket was booked via Expedia UK who have no knowledge of the status change of this service from 3rd September. How to get a refund when HK airlines aren't advertising that they are scapping the service? I obviously have to make a new booking on another airline at short notive. It's exasperating.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,301 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

If you booked with Expedia, then call them and tell them (well ask politely) that they resolve this. Here's an article on USA Today that specifically addresses this issue.

…usatoday.com/alliance/…1

It does look as though this is a very recent decision.

Note that if anyone's canceled flights are FROM the UK, then you have protection under EU261/2004, in that the airline must offer a CHOICE between a full refund AND alternative flights, even if they have to buy seats on another carrier to offer that alternative. Given that the cancellation is at rather short notice (meaning that rebooking yourself could be much more expensive), that protection may come in handy.

eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do…

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Hi Suzi1963,

My ticket is also booked via Expedia UK, like you said, they have no knowlege of the route being suspended from 3 Sept. The problem is that they are not advertising it so, in theory, they are still 'flying'!! Tricky! I have tried to call their offices in HK there is never ever anyone picks up the phone there! However, I did manage to speak to their London representatives in the UK last week, that was before the news of the service being suspended from 3 sept. I have an out bound flight on 23 Aug so that is supposedly OK, my return flight is 15 Spet and that's not ok!

I am going to contact them again today and see what they are going to say and what options there are.

Will keep you posted.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Dear US BusinessTraveller,

Thank you so much for your post! very helpful.

My ticket is also booked via Expedia UK, they have no knowlege of the route being suspended from 3 Sept. The problem is that Hong Kong Airlines are not advertising this piece of news, in theory, they are still 'flying'!! Tricky!! However, I did manage to speak to their London representatives in the UK last week, that was before the news of the service being suspended from 3 sept. I have an out bound flight on 23 Aug so that is supposedly OK, my return flight is 15 Spet and that's not ok! So I can't really get a full refund as one leg of the journey is still in 'operation'!! They might just put all business class ticket holders into the next available flight on Economy Class with another airline on the day of travel! Do you think they can do that?

TKX!!!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Another example why it is best to book with the airline instead of a tour operator...Some of the airline web site i've checked even offer to pay if their price is not the best one around!

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Hi Suzi1963,

I contacted the Hong Kong Airlines London office, they are absolutely useless! they just won't say the service is suspended! They won't give out any info, they keep on saying they are waiting for new schedules from the head office.

As my ticket is bought via Expedia.co.uk. I called them, explained to them what happened, they did their own investigation immediately and confirmed that the airline is suspending their serivce, they agree to give me a full refund and cancel my trip! refund will take 2-12 weeks to come through! it is such a pain! now I have to rebook my entire trip!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Bronzekie, definitely try the EU261 route but prepare yourself for disappointment.

HKA may well argue that since the flight from the UK is operating as normal, you have no claim under 261 since it is only the flight from Hong Kong that has been cancelled, and you are not covered for flights originating outside the EU by a non-EU carrier.

They may not try this gambit, but it is open to them.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

Hi LeicsLad, thanks! Luckily I bought my ticket through Expedia UK, A full-refund is now agreed all in writing.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hong Kong Airlines to suspend its London-Hong Kong route

"A full-refund is now agreed all in writing."

I think the point about the EU regs is that they mandate your choice of a full refund or a re-routing. Given that you may not be able to get a similar fare at the last minute, the re-routing is an important option. Have you been able to rebook or are you simply abandoning your trip?