We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
25 reviews
Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

Just a brief note as I feel I have made some comments about some other charter airlines in the past that were not at all favourable (and deservedly so). I have to say that our transatlantic Sunwing Flight wasn’t half bad and I was expecting the worst…

A package deal to Porto, Portugal with airfare and a hotel (that served a full breakfast included) was priced so ridiculously well, my husband and I couldn’t pass it up. The down side was going to be the dreaded “charter airline” flight from Toronto to Portugal return.

Admittedly, we did upgrade to Elite status and selected our seats with an experienced eye and as early as possible for best selection, but I was pleasantly surprised by the service and the efficiency of Sunwing. Staff was pleasant, meals were prompt, (if typical airline cardboard), and the plane was clean and as comfortable as a charter flight packed to the gunnels could be.

So not exactly a ringing endorsement, but better than the experience I was expecting. So much so, I thought I’d give them a shout out. I must say I prefer flying the bigger commercial airlines, particularly to Europe, but Sunwing did a decent job.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,337 posts
92 reviews
1. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

thanks for the review.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,576 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

I suspect that the key message here is that you knew what you were buying and had realistic expectations - many (but not all) of the complaints about specific airlines are from those who wanted both the lowest price and highest standard of service.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
37 reviews
3. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

Just out of interest, how much extra is it to get their "Elite Status"? I think you get preboarding etc, but still the same type of seat..is that correct?

London, Ontario...
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

Count yourself lucky. The Internet is full of stories describing how badly this company treats their customers. My family will never ever fly with Sunwing after they changed yes changed our holiday destination in Cuba to a crappy resort 150 KM away just a few minutes before takeoff. Totally ruined our vacation as we had planned to rent a car and tour around in the area that we intended to go to. On top of that the resort they partnered with caused most of the vacationers including us to get food poisoning which has required one of us to take lifelong prescription stomach meds. Beware. This company is in business only to scam its customers.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 20:52
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

Sounds like a fair review. I have flown all the charters in Canada quite a few times each, but I have the same expectations as the OP and I don't hate Sunwing. They have a free meal, a free champagne and their fares are decent. I had 4 big groups with them last year with no problems (and I do know that was going to be a hit and miss, but when you're in Western Canada, going south doesn't leave you much option).

Wish they had TV's for all the seats, but you can't have everything for the price.

Good to have reasonable expectations.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
6. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

Thanks it's good to hear some positive reviews.

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
7. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

I've avoided Sunwing up until now because of so many reports of them cancelling flights or flights being delayed frequently. What was your experience with that?

ktown

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

I sell them all the time and alot out of there because for pacakges, they are the only ones who do the RIu's and pretty much have a good hold on the Huatulco market. I've never had a major delay for my clients, but I hear about it here all the time. Their Europe may be much different than their south. However, last year I was flying out of Cancun on Westjet and the Sunwing flight that was scheduled to leave around our time was 18 hours delayed. I was happy to have noone on that flight (especially being in the airport with them). I have been pretty lucky and have not had any troubles with them for my clients for many years. But I don't much use them for Europe if that was your intended route.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,724 posts
116 reviews
9. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

I've thought about trying them. BUT their TAXES are a Rip OFF...compared to WestJet.

Plus Lots of Horror storys, like PVR last Xmas and Not letting people Know they had ONE night without Beds at Resorts, as Overnight flights...BAD ..

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
10. Re: Sunwing Airlines wasn't bad...

I may have tried them for my partner to return home from Florida this winter but they apparently don't sell one way tickets so it's not an option. Perhaps another time.

ktown