We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which would be better....

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
611 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
which would be better....

Travelling with infant son in December, transatlantic. He will be 8 months, and as he is already off the growth charts I doubt he will be light enough for a skycot. Flight will definitely be with BA.

Now, would it be better to buy 2 seats in economy (one for me, one for him, bearing in mind he will still only be a baby, able to sit up but will no doubt be "lost" in an airline seat) OR use my airmiles, fly Club World with him as a lap baby?

Would absolutely not considering flying anything less than CW with him on my lap, and not sure whether he would be suitable for his own seat given his age.

Any advice? 2 economy seats or 1 CW seat?

Thanks in advance!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
530 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which would be better....

I have never traveled with an infant, but I see it all the time. With a second seat, he can sleep comfortably (as can you) and will have room to move about. He can be amused with toys, while you read or watch whatever. Hold him at times, and then put him down in his seat.

Take a free day, sit in your living room, possibly in front of the TV, and hold him on your lap for 10 to 12 hours. Then consider, an Airline seat will be a bit more uncomfortable & inconvenient.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which would be better....

Trust me I know its horrific. I did a donestic flight not long ag o with him on my lap and I dont think either of us have ever been so traumatised by the end of it.

Just wandering if a lay flat seat would be more bearable, or even if he would be a suitable candidate at 8 months for his own economy seat

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which would be better....

|'d go for economy, and with an approved child seat for the little one.

Edited: 07 August 2012, 16:32
Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: which would be better....

This is interesting:

Your little ones are welcome onboard and will love our child seats – no matter how wriggly they are.

While your children enjoy their dedicated inflight entertainment, they’ll be comfy and safe in our seats designed just for them.

The seats are available on every flight, can be used in any cabin and are suitable for new-born babies up to children weighing 20kg (44lb) or measuring 100cm (40”) tall. To ensure you get a child seat, just buy a flight at the child fare - though you should note we'll need at least 12 hours' notice to ensure a child seat is available.

Children too large to fit a child seat will still pay the child fare.

You won’t be able to bring your own booster seat onboard, but if you need special support seating for disabled children, take a look at our information on support seating.

"Planning your seating

Young passengers in child seats will need to be accompanied by a guardian aged at least 16 who must be seated next to the child in the Economy and Premium Economy cabins. In Upper Class, the guardian must be seated immediately behind the child.

One guardian may accompany two children using child seats providing the adult is seated between the two children in the same seat row segment in Economy or Premium Economy. "

From virgin-atlantic.com/gb/…children.html

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which would be better....

I'd go for club world myself every time, so much more space all round, more personalised service, less people, much the better option. There is also probably more chance of an empty Seat in club world for you to utilise during the flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which would be better....

I haven't been on a club world flight for perhaps two years that had any empty seats.

I also see no point paying what is likely double the cost of two economy seats for CW and then STILL having a "baby whose weight is off the growth charts" sat on your lap for twelve hours !

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: which would be better....

I will be travelling BA not Virgin so that, sadly, wont apply to me!

I am inclined to fly club. It is how I usually travel long haul, WT+ at a minimum but now I have another persons needs to think about before my own and I am just not sure. I think he may actually be too big for the car seats they allow on board by then. Think I best give them a call and see whats what.

Joe - it would actually be cheaper for me to go Club as I would pay entirely in avios plus taxes

Edited: 07 August 2012, 16:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which would be better....

Yes, and I have honestlt not been in a club world cabin in the last two years that was full. I guess it depends on the route. Club world on BA is fantastic, miles above the economy product, and I certainly would not hesitate. I fly them for work and never fail to be impressed. I would have no issue in having my child on my lap with me in one of their flat bed seats, if you were on your side, he could probably even snuggle beside you or you could sit up and have him at the foot of your bed, lots of options for space.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: which would be better....

Are you sure your 8 month old will be over 20kg.You must get him a Desperate Dan blowtorch for shaving.

BA's onboard child seats are great for babies over basinet weight,up to 20kgs.I watched a couple put their happy infant in one after the BA crew had assembled it.I was dreading the flight to SIN,but it was peace and quiet all the way.I would call BA and discuss the matter.

K30
Cornwall
Level Contributor
611 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: which would be better....

Ah. I thought it was 20lbs. No, he wont be over 20kg! He is, however, not yet 4 months and over 20 lbs. But you are right, a phone call is required!