We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs

Coquille, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Customs

We are planning to fly from Seattle to Calgary and then back from Calgary to Seattle. On the trip to Calgary, I am guessing we go through customs when we land. But on the way back, do we go through customs in Calgary before we begin or in Seattle between planes. The flight we are looking at only has an hour layover in Seattle and I am thinking this is not enough time if we do customs in Seattle.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8,147 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs

Hi

Isn't this travel within one country. So I think you don't go through customs. Customs is only for travelling from one country to another.

Security on the other hand is compulsary at all airports.

Jackie

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,906 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs

Seattle is in the US and Calgary is in Canada so there are 2 countries involved.

However the comment about only having 1 hour layover doesn't make sense - I'm guessing there is another flight somewhere.

Perhaps the full itinerary will help posters give helpful advice?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,540 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs

When you arrive in Calgary you'll go through passport control, collect your bags, then walk through Customs. You should be given landing cards for Canada Customs by the cabin crew on board the flight to YYC.

When you leave from Calgary, you will go through US border pre-clearance at that airport. Allow plenty of time for the proceedings as it's not complicated but can be lengthy, with many requests for boarding passes and US Customs declaration cards along the way.

Your arrival at SEA will be treated as a domestic flight; you'll need not go through any further passport inspections or Customs declaration process at that airport.

Coquille, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs

Thanks! This was exactly the information I was looking for.

Canada
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs

What TP said...

6. Re: Customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 10:17